Quick hypothetical question for gun owners and other people....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Mac'nCheese, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

A quickie here:

IF and only IF, it was somehow proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to you personally (and you totally believe it), that by greatly reducing or even completely eliminating gun ownership in the USA, we would never have another mass shooting in schools or anywhere else, and that other killings would go way down.......

would you be in favor of repealing the 2nd Amendment?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nope. why? because you are simply dreaming a neat what "IF" scenario.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm just curious. A lot of these back and forth threads about gun control/gun rights always seem to end with just a disagreement about whether or not getting rid of guns would make the world safer or not. So, yes I'm just thinking of a what if scenario and wanted to see if taking that part of the argument out of the discussion would matter or not.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

even countries with limited or bans on guns experience plenty of crime. here you are FREE to defend yourself as well as you can , LEGALLY that is.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Nope.

Take away guns, they will use something else.

6. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Hence the words hypothetical and if.....

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha, they don't even need a gun

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Still missing the point. No one is arguing with you that people don't need guns to commit crimes...

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but cops/security guards & many gun owners use guns to PREVENT crimes, I can't carry a cop, but I CAN carry my 1911.

10. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you will never get the answer you are looking for when you ask a hypothetical question on such a strong topic.

You might as well ask a race car driver "If we found a way to instantaneously transport humans, would you junk your cars?"

11. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Nope. You say killings are way down, so there are still killings. You also missed assaults, robberies, rapes, etc.

Give me a scenario where all violent crimes are wiped off the planet and I have no chance of being attacked by an animal, and Then we will talk.

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm not looking for any particular answer. Just wondering. This works for me:

That answered my question just fine for me.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I would not.

Similar arguments could be made for all kinds of things - if we remove everything from our society that could possibly have some "collateral damage," then there would be nothing left.

14. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Well, I was wrong. Sorry for attacking the question instead of providing an answer. Many posters have an agenda. My mistake.

15. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's true but I hear that argument a lot. Cars kill people too, should we ban them? I think those other things have much more positive uses so we take the risks. But as luvmymbpr pointed out, s(he) would still want a gun for protection against other things, not just against a bad guy with a gun, as well. And I think that's a valid point.

Just for the record, if it matters, I'm not a gun grabber. Just got curious about this in another thread and didn't want to derail that one.

----------

No worries.

16. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I'm not a gun owner, but if there were 100%guaranteed evidence that supported the question, I wouldn't be in favor of banning guns. I like camping too much. If you could guarantee safety from wild animals without killing all of them? Sure.

Ironic, isn't it?:cool:

17. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

OK, Ok, I throw in safety from wild animals in to my fantasy as well. But just for you.

;)

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Don't Panic:p, but a Volgon construction fleet arrives to build an intergalactic highway...:D

Let's talk and bring your towel.;)

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Greatly reducing or even completely eliminating gun ownership will have no higher percentage in the Pros or Cons factor. It will depend on the actual possible situation.

You must realize, most people that want to cause harm, are coward punks. If firearms were completely banned ...............

Scenario 1
    Someone who wants you dead might just forget about it, since the simplicity and security of using a gun would be out of the question.

Scenario 2
    Someone who wants you dead might end up burning down your house at night, cause they can't coward behind a gun. This will put your whole family in danger.

That's just two out of endless scenarios that can make banning guns for better or worse. I don't see banning guns any better or worse when speaking for the general population.

I personally think gun laws/restrictions should depend on location as they are now. What they need to get serious about is weapons trafficking. Cause that's a huge problem that the gun manufactures and the NRA has been covering up for the longest.

The 2nd Amendment should stand.

20. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Are you volunteering to be my bodyguard, or to buy me the services of one?

That's not really how the amendment process works either.

21. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Nope. And of course you know what I meant. None of this will happen. Just curious how people feel.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sure, I would vote to repeal under the condition that all police, personal security for the rich and political, and federal agents give up all firearms for 25 consecutive years first with possession violations being 5-10 years in prison.

The only government agency allowed to own would be soldiers when deployed and off American soil.

Thats my one perquisite condition.

23. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No. It's a nonsensical question because the 2nd Amendment isn't intended to be bartered off. It's there to help protect our freedoms.

So life's more dangerous thereby? "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery".

25. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why would having no guns equal slavery? Some countries have very strict gun laws, and they aren't slaves.

And I know the amendments aren't intended to be bartered off. As I stated before, I was just curious if people would say they would give up their right to protect themselves if it meant no more school shootings and the like.