Quick iOS 5 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dodder92, Jun 1, 2011.

1. dodder92 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apologies if this has been asked before but was just wondering whether anybody knew how long it is between iOS 5's announcement and it being available to download. I'm aware that nobody will know exactly but does anyone remember from last year?

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It looks like it will be announced next week, we all suspect that. Just off the top of my head I think it is usually available to download pretty quickly (a few days, maybe a couple of weeks). Although remember the iPad took months to get publicly released iOS4. Hopefully they will be ready this time!

3. VickyDiana macrumors newbie

4. Pennine macrumors 6502

Usually comes out the same day as the new phone but with no new phone yet, who knows?

5. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Most likely in September along with the next iPhone (if the rumours are to be believed). A beta will probably be released within a week or two of WWDC so developers can start testing their software for compatibility.

But who knows? That's just an educated guess on my part. Apple may surprise us all.

6. dodder92 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks guys guess we'll have to wait and see :)

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

They wouldn't release iOS 5 months before the iPhone 5. They will both be released within a week period of each other. (Maybe two)

8. hismikeness macrumors regular

If iOS5 has major UI changes and improved such-and-such for the iP4 and iPad/iPad2, there is enough of an installed user base to make it worth releasing before the new iPhone, I would think.

Maybe, to sweeten the deal, there are extra iPhone5 specific features inside of iOS5 that won't be released (obviously) until the iPhone5...

Or, maybe Steve just announces iOS5, to be released later, and more of the focus is on Lion and the iCloud. But... it seems bizarre that they are "racing" to get the cloud ready, which I'm assuming will need iOS5 to run.

9. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You are probably correct. We may see some early iOS 5 features brought to the iPhone 4, but any iPhone 5 specific features will have to wait. (Obviously) I'm excited to see what happens. I'll definitely be watching live.

10. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

After thinking about it, Apple might release iOS 5 in late July / early August and then iOS 5.1 will be compatable with the next-gen iPhone when it is released. iOS 5.1 will probably bring some features specific to that phone too.

11. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

iOS 2, 3, and 4 were announced in March/April and released in June/July. So going by that, iOS 5 should be released in August/September. Developers need lots of time to test and make sure their apps work, plus prepare apps to take advantage of the new features. It's not something that can be done overnight. First beta will probably be seeded to developers on Monday though.

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

This just makes a ton of sense... And I wouldn't be at all surprised if, as someone else already posted, when the next iPhone is released (September?), we get 5.1 with added, new-phone specific features.