Quick Pick: $550 LTE iPad Pro 9.7" (Keyboard, Pencil) vs. $250 LTE Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by James.K.Polk, Feb 12, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

General use: Productivity, videos (occasional), PDF reading, etc.

Which has more longevity? I can only assume the iPad Pro? Is $550 too much for a product that will be likely replace next month?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The iPad Pro is obviously going to last longer. I just don't think it'll last that much longer. I'd go with the Air 2 tbh. That's such an amazing deal and the Air 2 is still a fantastic tablet.

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only thing that "worries" me is missing out on the Keyboard cover. I know you could get a Bluetooth one, but I'm a sucker for that integration. That said... Probably not worth ~$300!

4. ericwn macrumors 65816

Other than waiting a second longer I don't see a good Bluetooth case or keyboard being inferior in the user experience to a Smart Keyboard. In fact, there are some nice choices out there, and you never hear of a quality third party keyboard where the letters rub of with use. ;)

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Case (there are different ones with the same name) for the Air 2 has great integration with the Air 2. The one that I have for the Air 2 has 2 magnetic strips that hold the Air 2 at different angles and automatically turns the keyboard on when the iPad makes contact with those strips... and turns it off when the iPad disconnects from that strip.

In some respects, in particular opening the keyboards, the Apple Smart Keyboard is inferior.

I own both an Air 2 and 12.9 iPad Pro and if I were in your position, I'd get the Air 2... no hesitation.

6. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

$250 for a Cellular Air 2 is crazy cheap. At the worst, you could probably sell it at the same or higher price and get the Pro later if you feel dissatisfied.

7. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

$250 Cellular Air 2, while real, ended up being in considerably worse shape than indicated (scuffs on all 4 corners). Decided $550 was too much for the Pro bundle. I'll keep making do without an iPad!

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Oh, I didn't realize it was a used iPad. Still would have been a good deal if the iPad was in good shape.

9. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Used, indeed. Photos were artfully crafted to hide the damage. Ah well - saved my pennies. Probably for the best.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My question would've been what's the storage. At 32GB for both, then Air 2 if in good condition. Do you need LTE though? Because I remember seeing brand new 32GB wifi for $275 around holiday season last year.