Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
iOS 7 needs buttons for navigation. It offloads some of the increased white space. The users also like them and are used to them. Buttons can also be more easily increased or decreased in size than text links. Text in a button can be shortened if the center title is long. Example: (Voice sett..) A button also is intuitive to press than a text link with no underline. The user know when they have pressed a button because it changes color or some other animation. The text links in iOS 7 let's the user hang in a vacuum until the next page comes in view. The same example with text links would be: Voice sett..Main settings. The designers and engineers will have a nightmare on their hands if they go with navigational text links. They will have to check every old and new page in iOS against so many languages.

Northernist

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2013
I prefer the way it is now in iOS 7.. Looks much cleaner.

You should read the new Human Interface Guidelines in Apple's developer portal. Helps you understand a lot of the reasoning behind their UI choices.

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
Theres something really off about the lack of buttons in Messages app. "< Messages" makes the contact name look off center. I wouldn't mind small buttons, they can easily incorporate them with a flat design and make the heading of texts look less cluster ********ed

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
So where is the poll...?

I will cast my vote here: iOS 7 looks much nicer. Very sleek and clean compared to the dates and ugly iOS 6 interface.

We don't need "buttons" for everything. You've managed to navigate websites for decades using text and arrows, so why are you suddenly lost without buttons?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So where is the poll...?

I will cast my vote here: iOS 7 looks much nicer. Very sleek and clean compared to the dates and ugly iOS 6 interface.

We don't need "buttons" for everything. You've managed to navigate websites for decades using text and arrows, so why are you suddenly lost without buttons?
And yet even with browsers the standard is to have links underlined, because despite attempts to do it differently, it's been pretty much clear that having actionable items that look like any other text is simply not clear enough or usable enough. Sure, people will ultimately figure it out and use it (and probably get used to it even), but that still doesn't make it good.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
iOS 7 needs buttons for navigation.

I agree, for all the reasons you mentioned. But I'd also say that a button doesn't have to be a three-dimensional representation of a physical button. Simple text with a rectangle drawn around it would suffice to identify it as a button.

The user know when they have pressed a button because it changes color or some other animation. The text links in iOS 7 let's the user hang in a vacuum until the next page comes in view.

Yes, I find the lack of visual feedback in iOS 7 disturbing. I'm never sure if I've hit the right spot or not. I'm not sure how long I should wait to try again. They need to do something there. Make the background flash, or change color, whatever, but do something.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
And yet even with browsers the standard is to have links underlined, because despite attempts to do it differently, it's been pretty much clear that having actionable items that look like any other text is simply not clear enough or usable enough. Sure, people will ultimately figure it out and use it (and probably get used to it even), but that still doesn't make it good.

Not anymore. All of the browsers I use have hyperlink as blue text, and are only underlined when you hover over them.

But guess what color the iOS 7 navigation text is? I'll give you a hint... You're used to it ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 108

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Not anymore. All of the browsers I use have hyperlink as blue text, and are only underlined when you hover over them.

But guess what color the iOS 7 navigation text is? I'll give you a hint... You're used to it ;)

That is the color in settings. The color is set by the app though - look at notes for example.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Perhaps if you actually go and tweak your settings in your browsers. By default all browsers have links underlined, and very very few people change that, making it a fairly set standard for a while now.

Blue or not, there's a definition of a button, and simply having text (a label essentially) does not make a button. It's certainly minimal, and people can certainly figure it out (and get used to it for the most part), as I mentioned, but it still doesn't make it a good UI design.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I prefer the new way. I like how the text is able to be larger, even though it's the same size as the buttons before. And, It looks better to me. I don't think it's too hard to get used to either.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Those "text links" may comply with the design guidelines but imo they don't work well in practice. Neither do they look good (squeezed and disarranged) nor do thay give good visual orientation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.