quick question about deactivating my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by APPLEFAN8, Sep 18, 2012.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

when my new iPhone comes friday, when i activate that one will my iPhone 4 be deactivated automatically since i'm the single phone on my contract? Thanks!

2. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I also have a question about deactivating my iPhone 4 in preparation to sell it. I want to make sure my photos, notes, contacts, bookmarks etc. are removed from my phone, basically back to factory reset, before I sell it to my roommate's brother. I plan on activating my iPhone 5 from iCloud backups. Before I activate my iPhone 5, should I just factory reset my iPhone 4? Will all my iCloud backed up data be safe?

sorry for so many questions, I'm nervous about losing anything!

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There are stickies and guides at the top of the page.

I would never, ever, ever clean off my old phone until everything is for sure on the new phone. Personally, I would have it backed up on a computer as well. Just me.

I would not sell the old phone for at least a day. Just safer that way.

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Backup your old iPhone via iTunes so that there is a fresh record on your computer. By all means, make 100% sure that your new iPhone has received all info that you wanted to transfer from previous iPhone before you restore the old iPhone to factory settings. I agree that waiting a day or two before exchanging the previous iPhone is a great idea.

My previous two upgrades were done in the AT&T store so they deactivated my previous iPhone and put my son's # on it. He immediately had cell service during the time that I was waiting for my new iPhone to be restored from the complete backup that I'd run prior to going to the AT&T store. He also had to plug into iTunes to setup the apps portion of his new/my old iPhone.

The new iPhone will come with instructions for what to do to get service.

This is my third upgrade and there's always a little something that you forget. Better safe than sorry.

5. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

thanks for all the input. Hopefully I can figure this out.