Quick question about iPhone 5S gold....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TarHeelBlue, Oct 18, 2013.

1. TarHeelBlue macrumors member

I live in Europe (from South Carolina) and I called the Durham, NC store and they wouldn't tell me how many 32 or 64 golds they had in. He basically hinted he had one tmobile 32 in, which is fine, because tomorrow is my birthday and I was gonna treat myself to a nice present (currently at still using the iphone 3G)

Anyways, like I said, he wouldn't tell me how many 32 tmobiles he had in, but he hinted in 2 hours (my driving time there) they would be sold out. So I called two other apple stores close to my home and they were sorta mean and said the tmobile doesn't come unlocked and wouldn't work in Europe. Now I've been reading this site for weeks and this sorta contradicts everything I read. So I just want to make sure that if I buy a tmobile or att at full price, would they work on a Spain carrier?

He said they could sell online if they had a certain quantity, and for me to call back at 2pm to see what they got in. Can anyone confirm that the tmobile or att would work in Europe with a Spanish carrier?

Thanks guys

2. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I don't know the answer, but you should edit the title. Your question is more about international use of an unlocked T-Mobile phone and NOT specific to gold iPhones.

I was expecting this thread to be about the shade of gold, asking who uses naked gold iPhones, or questions about masculinity.

3. Raibyn macrumors regular

Raibyn

A full price AT&T or T-Mobile bought from the Apple Store, or any Verizon 5s will be fully unlocked and ready for international use.

4. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to say I called the Charlotte apple store and they told me they received less than 5 gold 64 iphone 5s's in. I told the guy it was my birthday tomorrow and he agreed to hold one for me!!! I couldn't believe it. He told me come right away because they would sell today.

So I immediately drove 2.5 hours there and 2.5 hours back. I bought the phone, I am soooooo happy they held it for me, I know they aren't supposed to do that. I just got home and I'm so tired. I'm gonna open her up tomorrow and probably put a zagg screen protector on.

I don't like cases (except clear cases). The last phone I had was a 3G and I didn't use any clear zagg on the back. What is the general thought on protecting the gold back? Does it scratch easily? I also bought the 2 year accidental protection. I'm gonna install the zagg front tomorrow (way too tired now and I know I'd get frustrated and I am neurotic if a piece of lint gets underneath it). Then I'm gonna call att and get them to unlock it!

I'm happy, but I feel so guilty, the dang phone was over a thousand dollars. Then again, my last phone was the 3G and I think I deserve something special for my birthday!

I'll post some pics tomorrow!

Just wanted to share how happy I was! Can't wait to play with it tomorrow!!!

Great forum and thanks for the quick replies!!!

PS I have one question about the phone. When I live in Spain, I use a VPN that I buy through iTunes and I love to watch hbogo, etc (plus I have a slingbox) my home Internet in USA is 30 mg download speed and 5 mg upload. My Internet in Spain is fiber optic 100 mg download and 10 upload. Technically speaking, is the Internet card in the iphone 5s faster than the ipad 3? I was thinking about buying the hdmi to lightening hook up, but was hoping one of my family members would buy it for me since it costs 49$!

Thanks again :)

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OK, next time, I will use the birthday trick and bring my fake ID.

6. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Lol man, I literally called sooo many apple stores and they are all about 2-3 hours away. And it was the very last store I called and he told me he could tell me he had less than 5 of them, all gold 64 gb AT&T. And he would hold one. Man I'm still thrilled. Some of those other stores were mean I called, I might call tomorrow and talk to the manager tomorrow and thank him for how nice that guy was, cause I know that is totally against apple policy.

And what blows my mind, is I call when they opened around 10 am, found one at 3 pm and bought it all in one day, and some of y'all have bought y'all's days and weeks ago and still are waiting for them,I don't get it...

Btw you think Charleston (normally gets voted best manners/friendliest in USA) would have the nicest manners but the woman swore to me the unlocked phones would never work in Europe (she had a hateful attitude), I didn't argue and continued calling other places.

Anyone know if its worth protecting the back of the gold or if the Internet card is faster than the retina 3 ipad?

7. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Quick question about iPhone 5S gold....

Honestly, I would not call and thank his manager. If he held a phone, which is against policy, he most likely did it on his own accord. There is a chance he would get in trouble if his manager found out.

8. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

True, maybe I just can call and tell the manager how professionally and great salesperson he was...

Does anyone happen to know the answers to my other two questions by chance?

9. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I am not sure what your last question is. That being said, in terms if protecting the back of the iphone, I would recommend it. Not only will it keep the phone looking nice, but the resale value will be higher if the phone is in good condition

10. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Okay now I tried to unlock it and they were saying I have to use it for 40 days or some crap like that. Is there any other trusty website that I can pay to unlock this? The apple store told me it would be unlocked. This is crap...ughhh

Help please?

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

omg omgz omgzz
    congrats I guess...

Enjoy your iPhone :)

12. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Where did you purchase it?

13. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Northlake Mall Charlotte, NC (official apple store)

14. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

If you purchased the device outright (what apple calls 'device only') it should be unlocked already. Have you tried another SIM in it?

15. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

I haven't tried another sim in it, still unopened, with the plastic wrap and all. I'm gonna do it tomorrow. Now which screen protector is the best ;-) lol

Thanks again!

But honestly, strictly speaking, is the Internet card faster using wifi than vs the ipad 3?

----------

Jealous? Did you previously order your phone?

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Northlake was the only store in NC that had gold stock today. I looked up iPhone stock for a friend who wanted one and I saw that they had gold. Durham never had any. Glad you got what you wanted.

So did my friend (he wanted Space Gray).

17. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Durham had them at 6 am, when I went to get my credit card, someone had already bought it. I was mad, but I didn't give up!!!

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

How do you know its locked if you haven't put a sim in it. You need to post in the how far would you drive to get a iPhone thread? I drove 3 mins:)

19. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Lol, lucky you man... I guess I can take it to tmobile and see if it works, but what's the purpose of the imei? Also did you have to wait? Or you were just extremely lucky and got in and got out?

20. Akonpex macrumors newbie

You bought it in an apple store at full price device only. Therefore your phone is unlocked, regardless what apple people say. Trust me, this is what I did. Just pop in your Spanish sim and you're good to go.

21. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I ordene mine on release midnight, had it in my hands 72hrs later. I just find this thread takes space and doesn't really say anything.

23. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Well I apologize (seriously), I was just really happy man,and it was like Devine intervention with it being my birthday and all. I forgot everyone on this forum ridicules every comment someone makes.

24. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

Also since I bought it outright, I don't have to worry about the imei thing do I? Or do I have to call AT&T and have them unlock that too before I can take my new iphone abroad when I move to europe?