Quick Question about purchasing an iPhone off contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Matthew9559, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Matthew9559, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Can you go to the Apple/Verizon store and buy an iPhone off contract? I know on Apple.com you can select an off contract phone but it is GSM only and I am on Verizon.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Isn't the iPhone 4S a world phone?

3. NewtonApple macrumors member

I know that AT&T will sell you a phone with no contract, I would think that Verizon would also.

4. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

That's a really good question. The unlocked phones you buy from Apple are GSM only. Verizon will unlock a phone after 60 days for foreign networks.

5. Matthew9559 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Right. I remember Apple saying that but I thought the phones were still locked down by the carrier or something so that you could not use an iPhone 4S from AT&T on Verizon or vice-versa. Otherwise I could buy the one on the site but it says explicitly won't work on CDMA.

6. Matthew9559 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Just got off the phone with Verizon. The rep said that you can buy it at retail price. No ETF or new contract needed, it would just be considered providing your own equipment when it came time to transfer to that phone. He also said that the contract is tied to the number, not the phone which makes sense.

Just figured I should report back with what I found out.

7. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Please expand on this

8. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Yea. OP this doesn't answer your question yet.

9. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

It would be really handy to know if we can buy a CDMA enabled iPhone that isn't contractulated obligated to Verizon (change to sprint etc)

10. Matthew9559 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I called the upgrade portion of the phone support and talked to a rep from there. I explained that I recently signed a Verizon contract and do like my current phone but may be interested in the next iPhone when it releases. He explained that I would be able to go into the Verizon store, pay full retail price for an iPhone, and then transfer the line to that new phone. It would just be equipment that I brought to their service. He really didn't expand much on this as this was all I was interested in finding out. How doesn't this response answer my initial question? I was just wondering if I could go in and buy an iPhone for retail price and then use it with my current Verizon service.

I am not sure if you could purchase a Verizon iPhone and then use that for Sprint. I don't see why not since it's CDMA but can't say.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, you can't use a Verizon iPhone on sprint and vice versa.
    They won't allow it to be activated on their network since its locked to another carrier.

12. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Pretty frustrating

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, it's bs.

14. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

It's a shame AT&T suck balls in Chicago for capacity issues

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Mentioned above and in countless other threads. VZW and Sprint won't activate devices that aren't their own.

Also note that even Apple states:
    Even though the 4S is both GSM and CDMA. The last sentence is a bit misleading. It will work but the carrier's won't activate it.