Quick Question: Are iPhones Hygenic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoleo, Mar 9, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Maybe I've been doing this wrong all along, but how are you supposed to hold the iPhone? Is it supposed to touch your face when you're holding it to your ear? Or do you just hold it by the metal band, suspended in the air? iPhones look so clean in the commercials, but theyre actually very dirty items. What would happen to your face if the touch screen touched it?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

iPhones are as clean as you make them, or as dirty as you make them. just like any other phone out there. If your face or hands are dirty, guess what? Your iPhone will be too.

The nice thing is, a simple microfiber cloth cleans 'em right up.

3. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Uh, well, you could put your ear to a flip phone without it touching your jaw. This is what I do with the iPhone. My iPhone is naked and it must be wiped down several times daily because of the sweat and fingerprints.

But I'd like to know how you do it (people on this forum).

4. magamo macrumors 6502

I use mine just like any other phone that doesn't have the fancy "i" letter. Just take out the "i" from your iPhone and put it back to your "Hygenic". Don't forget the i before e rule either.

5. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I'm going to go back and watch some Apple commercials. I don't know if they encourage you to rest it on your face.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk on the iPhone normally in these ads.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

7. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

This is odd, because I can't find a single advertisement of the iPhone with a person actually talking on the phone. That is so strange.

My question is this: Are iPhones hygenic?

How are you supposed to hold the iPhone? Is it supposed to touch your face when you're holding it to your ear? Or do you just hold it by the metal band, suspended in the air?

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hold it however you think is comfortable. I don't think there is a way that we're "supposed" to hold it.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

From a clinical standpoint, germs live longer on glass than plastic.

10. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Evidence?

11. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

From the web...
    "Families who used glass or plastic cutting board surfaces were close to twice as likely to contact salmonella."

Oh, no...I'm going to wash my face right away!!

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You know the web contains plenty of misinformation, right? What is the source of this claim? Is it reliable? Etc.

13. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

There's been numerous reports of iPhone and iPad glass crawling with bacteria and viruses.

A study done by Charles W. Hendricks says that a 'natural population of heterotrophic bacteria, including enterics, was observed to sorb to glass surfaces and multiply during the continuous culture of river water.'

In fact, after I bought an iPhone, I've gotten sick 3 times, most than I ever have. I got 2 very bad colds and a ringworm.

I'm going to look into this, because I'm scared now.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

15. -aggie-, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now you’re claiming the iPhone is giving you ringworm????

16. motoleo, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012

motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I never said that. This is a very serious inquiry. The iPhone is dirty. And it gets dirty very quick. I have never seen an advertisement in which Apple shows a person talking on the iPhone holding against their ear. You can't ignore how strange that is.

This has force me to question myself, does bacteria grow at a greater rate in glass than plastic or metal?

17. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

The reason that this is true is because that bacteria are harbored in the cuts that are created in the plastic board, not because plastic is less hygienic. If you had a smooth glass surface and a smooth plastic surface they would harbor the same amount of bacteria. This is example is irrelevant.

18. stickybuns, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

stickybuns macrumors 6502

Yes, your iPhone was assembled in an environment that is as clean/sterile as possible. With such tiny internal components, all smartphones need to be manufactured in dust free spaces. Likewise, oil from the workers' fingers can be transferred (imagine getting a fingerprint on the inside of the glass!), so gloves are worn.

Yes, as with any item that is held close to the face, germs may be transferred to the surface. According to the Mayo Clinic, flu germs can survive up to 48 hours outside the human body. Wash your hands and face with soap and water, especially after sneezing, and avoid sharing your phone with folks who show signs of being ill. If you are the sole user of the phone, any germs present on your phone will likely be your own.

The actors in the iPhone commercials hold the phone away from their faces because the marketing department at Apple would like potential customers to see the phone as clearly as possible.

19. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Considering how gorgeous the hands are in the commercials, I'd LOVE to see their face and how they hold their phones.

20. coolhands macrumors regular

Hahaha I am going to be honest, this thread actually made me laugh out loud. Seriously man, your blaming your iPhone on a sickness??
    Take some iMedicine to get rid of your iCold so you can still use your iPhone.

21. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

My answer to the OP's question would be no. In fact, I am starting to see advertisements for new cleaning/charging stations. They use UV lights to sanitize your phone while it charges. Cool idea actually!

22. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I'm not talking about how it was assembled. But I'm wondering if the iPhone really is a health hazard. I have been sicker than I've ever been in just the few short months I've had this iPhone. And I'm always scared of touching iPads and iPhones because, while they might be clean on TV, they are usually incredibly filthy when you go to touch them. They don't even clean the ones that are on display. Have you seen an iPad lately? The same goes for any tablet. They don't even have the good sense to make it out of antimicrobial glass. Which Corning is developing, I think. But I'm starting to get a little tired of cleaning it 24/7. You see, the glass makes your hands incredible sweaty. So in theory, it's worse than touching money.

Nowhere does Apple tell or show you how to hold the thing. Do they encourage you to put it on your face? I would advise you not do that.

23. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

What if I use my iPad as a cutting board? Just kidding

I'm pretty sure any phone with a smooth touch screen is way more hygienic than a phone with buttons. As long as you clean the phone you should be good. Maybe an iPhone is less hygienic for the sole reason that all your friends want to use it and put there germs on it. Who would really want to use there friends blackberry;)

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Depend on where you put it before you brought it up to your face.

OP, you must not have been alive during the time of public pay phones. You would have had a stroke worrying about those handsets.

25. stickybuns macrumors 6502

An iPhone is no less sanitary than any other glass surfaced device held closely to the face. Germs do not magically appear out of no where. If you are continually being reinfected with a cold virus, you may want to try washing your hands more often.

I am unfamiliar with Charles W. Hendricks. With what institution(s) is he affiliated? Has his work been published in peer reviewed journals? What controls did he use in his study?