Quick question on Tethering (ATT)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BoxerGT2.5, Oct 8, 2012.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Never had to do it, but I'll be traveling in a few weeks and will need to or pay ridiculous hotel wifi charges (per device no less). I have unlimited data so I'm under the impression ATT won't let me add it to my existing grandfathered plan. My wife has the 2GB plan for $30. If I up her to the 5GB (she's traveling with me) they'll allow me to tether so I can use her phone as a hotspot for my iPad to facetime with my kids back home?

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yup. You can upgrade hers, and you can do it basically just for the few weeks you're traveling and switch back to the 2GB plan.

I gave up my unlimited for the 5GB plan last year, and I don't entirely regret it, as I don't get throttled and 5GB is enough. I also use tethering enough for it to be useful.

But, if you ever want to drop down, you certainly can. You can even use it just for a few days and drop back down and you'll be pro-rated. Though if you upgrade, use tethering for an hour and switch all the time, I'd imagine they'd start getting a little upset.

Facetime through your iPad should work fine, as the iPad will just see the phone as a wi-fi connection.

Where are you staying that has crazy wi-fi charges? My last several hotel stays have all had free wi-fi for the duration of the visit.

3. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Staying in NY. $18.95 per day per device.