Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
quick question, did the 12" Rev B powerbook with 1Ghz have DVI out, or Mini-DVI in this case. and was it supposed to come with AP Extreme card built in or not? and was the ram PC2100 or PC2700?

and more subjective question, is it going to be enough for work that involves mail, very light photoshop, and moderate-medium Dreamweaver use?

and in general, is it snappy enough for someone who's used to P3 500 and P3 800 - or how much snappier would it feel?

thanks. also if anybody remember the link to that site that liss all past Apple machines with the specs, etc..that would be nice. :)

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
dav said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but:

1) The Rev B powerbook does not have a DVI port, but rather an RGB port.
OK, You are incorrect the 1GHz 12" PB has a Mini-DVI port and should have included the Mini-DVI->DVI adapter.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
The Rev. B has a mini-DVI port (got beat on this point!), and did not come with Airport Extreme built in (but was AE compatible).

(I'm typing on one right now.)

Oh, and the link above is to the Rev. A specs.

And it's PC2100 RAM.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
thx. so i can use DVI screen with the rev B just as the rev C can, right? great.

so, since you ahve first hand experience with the rev B, how is it? what do you do on a regular basis and do you find it to be fast enough?

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
I'm also on one right now (recieved it today :-D)

And as far as I can tell, and what I've used it for, it is going to be more than what I need it for.

It's a great computer for the price ($1099 at refurbed apple store online-- they update at 4 am EST, and sometimes have one of these... gotta be quick)

It definately handles photoshop fine, but I can't tell you anything aboout Dreamweaver as I've never used it. Good luck!

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Eek! Sorry, it must have beent he Rev A with the RGB port?

Sorry :eek:

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Ryan1524 said:
thx. so i can use DVI screen with the rev B just as the rev C can, right? great.

so, since you ahve first hand experience with the rev B, how is it? what do you do on a regular basis and do you find it to be fast enough?

I don't do anything very exotic with it at all (no photoshop, dreamweaver, etc.). Mostly word processing, email, itunes, ichat, iphoto, that kind of thing. Of course, I'm often running all of the above simultaneously, (with maybe another app or two thrown in to the mix), connected to the net, streaming music to my Airport Express, and it handles everything really well. (You'll probably want to upgrade to at least 512 MB of RAM, I've got 768).

Umm... don't rush out and buy Halo, though. Gaming is not a strong point, but you knew that, right? I took my chances, and did manage to play through Halo on the toughest difficulty setting. It's do-able, but it ain't pretty.

All in all, I'm really happy with it, but I'd really like to see what kind of difference the extra 32 MB of VRAM on the Rev. C would make.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The rev B 12" is great. Just get 512MB of RAM, and I'm sure it'll be well beyond your P3 500 and 800. After all, you're buying a new computer. Any new computer this day and age will be faster than that. They're great computers. I tend to use multiple instances of Preview for 3 or 4 different PDF files, MS Word, iTunes, and Safari with 5 or 6 tabs like I am right now, and it's still good. ;) I only have 512MB of RAM as well, so 768MB will be even better.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Video out on 12" PB

Ryan1524 said:
what's an RGB port? did you mean VGA?

Rev. A's only had a VGA out, while Rev. Bs and Rev. Cs have a mini-DVI out. BTW, looking at the video out port is the only way to find out if it's a Rev. A. without turning it on. But, AFAIK, you can't distinguish Rev. Bs and Cs from the outside.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I use a rev. B for med. PS work, heavy InDesign, and most of the "regular" stuff. I find that for my use that 1.2gb RAM was a good choice. To find out for your self you should get the base PB and use Do I Need More Memory program. It will show you real time how much more memory you need and the performance increase you can expect with that RAM.

Refurb, the rev. B for $1100 is a great deal.

That being said, if you don't need portability I have been using an eMac 1.25ghz for the last few weeks. It screams over my PB. Though I would wait till the next revision on the eMac so that it may be compatible with the new Core Images tech of Tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.