Quick questions to those who are on Straight Talk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rainman7, Oct 5, 2012.

1. rainman7 macrumors member

Just wondering how much service fees and tax do they charge on top of the $45 monthly fee, I did a quick search on google and could't seem to find anything. For my ATT bill, all those random charges add up to about $10 per month.

Also, since Staight Talk use ATT network, does that mean a locked iPhone will work without problems

2. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

top up card for unlimited plan is $45 plus 4.95$ tax here for me in NYC..

so every month it would be $49.95 each time you top up the balance...

3. kornberg macrumors member

A locked att iphone will work without issue. I tried it for a month.

4. negrohero9 macrumors regular

negrohero9

you should have no problems getting it to work with ST but you'll have to cut you own sim because ST doesnt sell nano sims yet unless you are getting it for a phone with a micro or regular sim which they do sell.

Check these vids out for help:
    http://youtu.be/5gT2XyKi4fw
    http://youtu.be/JMMQ0pk5kWQ

5. rainman7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses, so does the amount of tax they charge depends on the sales tax rate of the state you are in? I always get confused on the various surcharges on my phone bill

6. negrohero9 macrumors regular

negrohero9

State tax is all you gotta worry about. I'm in MD and it is 6% for us so it came to $47.70 when I had ST for my little brother.

7. rainman7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, I read some threads here that mentioned the sim card tray on the iPhone 5 will accomodate the thickness of the original sims, so I just have to cut it down, no need to sandpaper it

8. itstafhim macrumors newbie

Been using ST on my iPhone 4 for the past 3 months. Bill comes out to 49 with tax in NY

9. Nothlit, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

Nothlit macrumors regular

Taxes and fees on Straight Talk refills will depend on where and how you buy it. If you purchase online directly through Straight Talk (or sign up for auto-refill) you will be charged your state's sales tax, and possibly some regulatory or 911 fees. It seems to vary by state, but I've seen reports of anywhere from $1 to $5 additional, on top of the actual refill cost. On the other hand, you can buy refill cards at Walmart stores (or on the Walmart web site) and you will only be charged whatever the sales tax is in the state where you buy it. No other fees. Since buying the refills online through Walmart just results in an email containing the activation code (nothing is actually physically shipped to you) some people have discovered that they can provide a shipping address in a sales-tax-free state (like NH or Oregon) regardless of where they actually live, and not be charged sales tax at all. I can't really recommend this, since it's legally questionable, but it has worked for some people.

If you buy the 3- or 6-month refills the rate ends up being cheaper, too. The 3-month card is $126 on Walmart.com ($42 per month). This is the card I purchase, and I do pay sales tax on it (Massachusetts, 6.25%) so my total cost for 3 months is $133.86, or $44.62 per month.

10. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

You can buy 3 month or 6 month refills at slight discounts, You can buy refill from walmart using Oregon address for email codes. Oregon has no tax and then use shop discover for 5% cash back. Also you can find specials once a year for phone and 3 month refill code for $99. You stock up when you find those bundles on sale.