quick upgrade question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yth, Sep 9, 2013.

1. yth macrumors member

I'm eligible for an upgrade with Verizon and I want to get the new iPhone. Right now, an upgrade to the current iPhone 5 would cost $199. I have three questions:

1. When the iPhone 5S comes out, can I upgrade to it that same day? Or does it take a while for Verizon to get it in stock?

2. Will the upgrade still cost in the ballpark of $199? Or does the price start high and slowly come down as the technology gets old? Will Verizon subsidize the purchase of a new iPhone 5S immediately?

3. Finally, what should I do on the day the iPhone 5S is released? Should I just go to the local Verizon store? Order an iPhone 5S online? How long does it take to arrive?

Thanks!

2. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

1. Same day. Both Verizon and Apple will have stock the day they are released, although Apple is guaranteed more choices, i.e colors/size

2. It is almost guaranteed the entry level 5S will be $199 subsidized, this is because of the past years releases unless it's got some radical new tech which is highly doubted. The newest entry level iPhone usually comes in at $199. The price will never change thru it's yearly life cycle, unless thru promotions such as Best Buy, but much later on down the road (see their iP5 promotion now)

3. Typically, if you want it on launch day, you MUST arrive at your local Apple store or your carriers store early (4-5 hrs) or a 3rd party retailer(not recommended due to stock chances) and wait in line. If you don't have the time to wait in line, you may preorder online thru Apple.com which normally starts a week before it's release.

Hope this helps!

----------

But in all, I would suggest you take advantage of VZW's EDGE program if you're eligible of an upgrade; That's the best bet. New tech every 6 mos., as you pay monthly towards the phones price - no cost upfront