Quicken Downloads being discontinued for some products

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robnbill, Jan 31, 2015.

1. robnbill macrumors member

Received an email that support for bank downloads for Quicken Essentials for Mac is being discontinued effective 4/30. At no time when I purchased QE was there any statement that those services might be discontinued in the future. Their license agreement (http://quicken.intuit.com/support/eula/quicken-2012.jsp?_requestid=1602) does not say anything about future discontinuation.

I'm just very frustrated by Quicken and this discontinuation ploy that seems to suddenly have been put in place. It seems they are doing it simply to increase revenue - you need to purchase Quicken for Mac 2015 in order to continue downloads.

They are doing this for other Quicken versions too - not just QE.

Any suggestions as to what consumers can do?

2. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Have you tried reaching out to them to express your concerns?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Given there non-apology apology for the tax software mess, good luck with that.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

When I bought Quicken 2015 (Windows version, run it in a VirtualBox VM) I seem to recall them clearly stating that online services are only available for 3 years after release.

AHA! It was in the fine print at the bottom of the email with the offer I used to get it (50% off)

To your point I guess, I don't see the same info on my offers from Quicken 2012. However, this has been pretty standard practice for the Windows version since at least 2005 I think.

5. robnbill thread starter macrumors member

I did check with Quicken - posted in their forum - very quick reply. They choose to close my post and delete my "inflammatory" content - that there had been no notification that the service would terminate in three years.

Had I known that I'd have to pay $75 for their new software - guess that would be every three years now - I might have chosen a different route. I checked the email from 2011 - nothing on there to indicate discontinuation.

I'll take a look at iBank, etc.

6. thekb macrumors 6502a

This is nothing more than a blatant money grab. I HATE having a program that does everything I need getting "updated" with "features" I don't need and don't want being forced on me at virtual gunpoint. As much as I hate the idea of paying their blood money, I would much rather just pay them to keep my current software operating than to have to relearn a new, confusing methodology just to basically balance my checkbook. It seems like they get so bogged down in whiz-bang features that you can't even do the basic things you need to do anymore. ARGH!