quicker ways in finder

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Tech198, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

Is there a quicker way in Finder to delete the current server field in "Connect to Server" (Command-K), other than deleting Finder.plist? (which also resets all finder customization back to defaults)

Not really a huge issue to set these up again, just something i must go through every-time i wish to blank the server field only..

In Windows removing *all* entries in Remote Desktop connection by editing Registry is better... but i though a simpler method like this was on the Mac ? Is there a terminal command for this ?

2. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

a terminal command to remove the last entry?? because if you're going to open the terminal and input a command... it would be infinitely faster to open the connect window itself, highlight the current entry.. and type what you want.

(and isnt' the 'favorite servers' useful? and have you clicked on the gear, where you can 'clear recent servers'?)

3. Honza1 macrumors 6502

I am confused what more are you looking for, what is not already available in GUI... cmd-K window does have ability to add/delete Favorite servers AND clear the recent servers in the pulldown menu. Reseting Finder plist will clear the pull down list, I guess, but that is what the gear does also.
    Now, if there is something else you really want and the GUI cannot do, here is ugly work around: make copy of Finder.plist in state you like (customizations but without the server list) and when needed, use script to Kill Finder and overwrite existing Finder.plist with this backup copy. You may need to play bit with order how to make this work right. Not sure if you need first overwrite plist and then restart Finder or the other way around.

4. Tech198, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019

Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

The pull down list is easy to clear, but that's not what i'm wanting: (Attached)

The "Server list" field is blank now because i deleted finder.plist.... but normally the last entry would be listed i want to clear and not keep popping up every time i open window.

Finder.plist is the only way so far i have found to blank this field. but looking to easier way as it also resets finder customization too. which i don't wish to set again.

Either way i wish to avoid moving files.

Attached Files:

5. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

I does come up already highlighted, so a simple Delete will clear it (or just start typing in the new server and it clears).

6. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

It does, but how to 'keep' it cleared as above attachment shows without resetting Finder custom..?

7. Honza1 macrumors 6502

I am not sure this was considered as needed by Apple. Seems like you are trying to make sure someone else cannot find out which was the last server you were connecting to. Well, since user account is considered private, hiding away your own history from you is not high priority.

So your chance may be not to generate that record in first place - you could use terminal and mount the server through terminal, but that leaves even more history in the terminal itself. I think you could make Apple script or shell script and run those.

Or rethink the servers which you are connecting to ;-) There will always stay some traces of whatever you do somewhere on these computers...