quickest+easiest+safest way to tether iPhone 3G[S] W/O Jailbreaking????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vader1990, Aug 3, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I need to tether my iPhone to my macbook pro, however I keep hearing that this bnem or /we it is breaks my ability to text or, does something horribly bad to my phone.

Can someone PLEASE tell me the easiest/quickest/AND safest way to tether my 3G for free AND WITHOUT jailbreaking it. I really hate how slow the phone becomes when its jailbroken. A step-by-step would be a god send, lol ;)

I'm on 3.0.1 if that matters. Also NOTE this is a 3G NOT a 3G, again if that even matters...

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!!

EDIT: something about the benm killing my voice mail or something?

2. WeatherGuy macrumors member

Get the 5.0 carrier file.

follow this.
    http://www.9to5mac.com/iPhone-3G-tethering?page=

Once you do that, you'll have to fix your voicemail. Go to General-->Network->Cellular Data Network-->go to voicemail and type in acds.voicemail. Done.

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Never heard of benm.at actually killing voicemail or texting or anything like that. Maybe at one point early on it did, but I've used it myself and had no detrimental effects.

There are other sites that do the same thing, too, though, so if you don't trust benm.at specifically then use one of the others.

My step-by-step instructions would look like this:

1. Open Mobile Safari.
    2. Visit http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ (my personal favorite)
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

:p

In reality it's pretty doggone simple. You go to the site, select Custom APN, select your carrier from the list, toggle the Tethering slider, and then hit the download button. Another screen will pop up, hit Install.

Boom: done.

Now, word of warning: I have experienced times where the tethering APN doesn't take/didn't set up tethering correctly. In my experience, this is usually because either Wi-Fi is on at the time you try to set up tethering, or you do not have an active 3G connection (these are just educated guesses based on my experience, and may not in actuality be requirements). So my advice is to turn off Wi-Fi and make sure you have a valid SIM and an active 3G signal (even though tethering will work on EDGE after it is set up and working). Once those requirements are in place, you will go to Settings -> General -> Network and see a new Set Up Internet Tethering button or somesuch thing (can't remember exact title). If you hit it, it will probably tell you to "contact [insert provider name here] to set up tethering." If you just dismiss the box, though, the "Set Up" button will change to an Internet Tethering submenu where you can go and turn the tethering on or off.

Good luck,

-- Nathan

4. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

i used help.benm and it worked just fine with no adverse affects. i did delete it because i dont have a need for teathering but when i tested it it was fast and easy so go a head and do it

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

do you put this in for the APN?

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

After following the link in #2 above...

I'm not seeing anything that looks like that under Settings -> General -> Network???

EDIT

I used the http://help.benm.at/usa.php site to successfully tether 3.0.1 to my Vista/Dell notebook.

Initially got the "contact ATT message", but it resolved itself a few minutes later.

So far, so good.