Quicktime 6 Screenshots

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
I want .avi support

All I want is .avi support fully intigrated w/ out all the codecs. For both Classic and X. I understand about the Divx support but all the .avi files i get and cant watch w/ out using vpc.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Well, I personally favor Apple's plans to support the (what better be real soon) finished licenses for MPEG-4. I cannot wait.

A few quick questions: I noticed that Final Cut Pro 3 lacked support for MPEG technology (import, export, etc.). I was wondering if since Apple is going to start out with adopting Quicktime to MPEG licenses, what if Apple compiled applications, such as iTunes 3, or Final Cut Pro 4, or even iMovie 3, that would support the new MPEG?

Also, what else would you guys like to see added to Quicktime other than MPEG support? I personally would like to see Apple open up a separate window for viewing TV buttons. And if Apple can allow users of the free player to watch movies in full screen I would appreciate it. RealNetworks and Windows Media Player have done it (in poor quality like none other), so why should we pay $30 to get this feature?

Finally, I noticed that Quicktime 5 had three previews and a preview usage deadline. These previews seemed to last around four months. Would this happen with the QT6 Preview? And can you guys wait four months for the final of QT6? I wouldn't.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'll wager it comes out at WWDC, it seems the most appropriate. The about shot they had was a public preview, so we might see a few versions of 6 before they finally settle on an official release (Like QT5). I don't see DivX support though. That's a whole different animal. But mpeg-4 will do so much better DivX it won't matter.

I like the new logo though, nice.

Attachments

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I had it cached, so here's all the text. Not really much anyway

Apple's QuickTime 6 was announced during QuickTime Live in February. Though Apple has been having some issues with the MPEG-4 licensing, it will soon be available to the public.

"Apple (last year) said they needed to wait for licensing to release it," Rob Koenen, chairman of the MPEG Requirements Group, explained in an e-mail interview with the Rumor Mill. "Now licensing for MPEG-4 Visual was recently announced to become available soon. The Big Question is: Are the licensing terms such that Apple will take out a license? I do not think that the licensing is such that the answer is obvious; there is some concern over its viability."

Modifications where slightly made with the QuickTime UI. The Favorites no longer reside inside the QuickTime window, but on its own window.

QuickTime 6 will be available for both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9. There are 2 separate installers for it.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Looking at it the about box says it is a public preview, does this mean its a public preview for Apple to show the public or is it a preview for the Public to test on there computers?

As long as it can support .AVI files correctly I will be happy.

Ensign

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Looking at it the about box says it is a public preview, does this mean its a public preview for Apple to show the public or is it a preview for the Public to test on there computers?
/B]

If you remember back when QT5 came out, they had a series of 'public releases' that would expire in a month or so, until they came out with the official version. Its my guess they're doing the same thing here, and we probably would have seen it as a download at the Apple site if it hadn't been for the licensing issues.