Quicktime 7 HD Gallery with HD Trailers encoded in H.264

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
I've got to words to say about this H.264 codec: Holy sh*t!
I don't believe what my eyes are seeing...
Yeah, right, I have broadband, but this looks too good to be true, and the transfer times are just unbelievable! Yet another reason to think my money was well spent on Tiger... ;)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Mainyehc said:
I've got to words to say about this H.264 codec: Holy sh*t!
I don't believe what my eyes are seeing...
Yeah, right, I have broadband, but this looks too good to be true, and the transfer times are just unbelievable! Yet another reason to think my money was well spent on Tiger... ;)

I agree, just to play around to see how good the codec is, I made a video in FCP the same length as the Batman trailer, and it was 500 megs, the batman trailer, looking better than the video I exported, is 115 or so.

Incredible, now when can I export to this lovely codec?

rogueimage

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Boulder, Colorado
realityisterror said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a G5 :(

Oh well. My display's not HD anyway...
I just played the Serenity trailer on my Mac mini, and it *nearly* played flawlessly. Framerate slowed a little in the faster moving scenes, but it never got downright choppy. As far as having an HD display, can't you set your display to be 1280 wide?

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
my g5 couldn't handle the batman trailer, and that's with 1.25gb ram. Off to work tomorrow to run it on the dual 2.7 with the 6800 and the 30", I think that can handle it.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
sb11710 said:
Is there any way I can save these movies? (without QuickTime Pro)
Batman has a 1080 version that you can download, same with serenity. The ohers i believe are jsut being streamed....

Man that batman trailer can get so big it won't even fit on my screen!! :eek:

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
Played fine on 1 GHz iBook

Played Serenity trailer on my 1 GHz iBook and it played fine. Not full frame rate, but smooth. Processor into highest performance, of course.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
rogueimage said:
I just played the Serenity trailer on my Mac mini, and it *nearly* played flawlessly. Framerate slowed a little in the faster moving scenes, but it never got downright choppy. As far as having an HD display, can't you set your display to be 1280 wide?
The streaming version is 1280x855, but the downloadable 1080 HD version is 1920x816! Not bad for 129 MB.

I'm downloading the BIG 1080 version now to see how choppy it will be on my 1.25 G4. I'm sure the streaming one would be better for my machine, but I'm on modem.

If anyone wants a quick glance at detail level of the big download version, here's a screenshot:

http://www.fireflymovie.com/media/serenity_1080p.jpg

Wow! And with a G5 that can be full motion ?!?

OK, QT 7 is a big deal after all...

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
:( Wish my iMac could play 1080p comfortably, it is gorgeous tho (1280 X 8(5)44 is very nice).
Bring on iTunes High def movies....even though they would be 6GB i am sure by next year a lot of people wil;l have like 8mn connection.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Question: are the "streaming" versions really streaming? Like the Serenity 108 MB version? Or do they load normally into a browser? (It would be odd to list the 108 size for a true stream.)

And if it DOES all load into the browser... can you Save the Serenity trailer if you have QT7 Pro? Or is Save disabled?

I'm guessing you can't save all of them... but the ones that offer a download anyway, like Serenity?

If it's savable, then maybe I'll just download the 1280 version instead of the bigger one.

Or if anyone knows a direct link to option-click.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
sb11710 said:
Is there any way I can save these movies? (without QuickTime Pro)
Grab from Safari's cache, or locate the movie URL and copy to clipboard. Create a new HTML file and edit a HREF tag to include the movie URL. Load this new HTML file into Safari, option click on the link to download to your desktop.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Lacero said:
Grab from Safari's cache, or locate the movie URL and copy to clipboard. Create a new HTML file and edit a HREF tag to include the movie URL. Load this new HTML file into Safari, option click on the link to download to your desktop.
But the HTML on these pages just gives you a little thumbnail mov. Anyone know how to get the full-size link?

And when I save from my cache, I get a partial file (~3/4 the size it should be) for some reason, unplayable even when renamed .mov. Even while the whole movie is still in the browser window, playing completely, and Safari's Activity window shows the full data size received. I don't know where the rest of the file is! Maybe some stays in RAM? I really thought the whole mov would have to be in the cache but it doesn't seem to be. Or it's in some other format compressed? But I don't see how it could be THAT much smaller. Could be a fluke since I only tried once. (This is in Panther BTW.)

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
If I click on the 'Click to Play' Serenity Trailer, it opens up in QT Player, Then when it's fully loaded from the Internet and you have QT Pro - I don't know if it works in the standard edition - just Save As... to store on your HD. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good to know! Saving is Pro only, but I'm getting Pro :) The non-.H264 Serenity Trailer was save-disabled even WITH Pro, but this one must not be.

I think I'll download both 1920 and 1280 versions and compare :) My poor, poor modem... Ah well, my computer only spends the night folding anyway.

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
nagromme said:
The non-.H264 Serenity Trailer was save-disabled even WITH Pro, but this one must not be.
What do you mean, the non-.H264 trailer was save-disabled. I downloaded it a few days ago. Or, well, the full-screen version opens in iTunes, but the large version you can save.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I found that doing a Get Info on save-disabled movies often shows you the address of the movie, so that you can download it by using a download manager :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Right--it's the full-screen (iTunes) movie that's save-protected (which is odd, since the unprotected Large version is easier to get to anyway). I got the URL for the iTunes version and used that to download it. (The save-protection is built into QT, so when I used QT Pro to remove the Flash stuff from the top and bottom, I could play it that way but not save it that way.)

Now, if the 1280 movie was save-protected I wouldn't have an option since I have no URL for it.

Also, since I'm downloading the 1920 version first, I may just keep cropping/scaling it in QT Pro until it plays well, and have my OWN 1280 version :) Unless the 1920 version is save-disabled... I'll know later today.

Graeme A

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
This codec rocks

I downloaded the BBC gallery and I was blown away by the quality.

It made my CPU temperature jump by some 20 degrees Celsius even though I was watching a DVD at the time. This was the first time that the fans have really worked hard in a while.

arock

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
tobyMac

Check out the tobyMac video for 'Gone'. My brother-in-law is the guitar player in that video. Very cool to see it be one of the HD gallery items!

_arock

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
realityisterror said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a G5 :(

Oh well. My display's not HD anyway...
Ummm, yeah, it is, it's just not 1080i. Believe me, 720p is quite impressive.