Quicktime Live!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Quicktime Live kicks off tomorrow in Beverly Hills, CA.

Phil Schiller is giving the Keynote address which will be streamed live from Apple starting at 10:30am Pacific Time.

The most concrete information available on Quicktime Live and the potential for Quicktime 6.0 comes from this CreativeMac interview with Frank Casanova from December 17, 2001.

In it, Casanova describes MPEG-4 as a strong direction for Apple... however the recently released licensing plan is not being well received - due to a 2 cent/hour streaming fee.

MacWorld UK posted a possibility of a surprise at QuicktimeLive. This is actually hinted at by Casanova himself in the interview back in December: If you look at the program grid on QuickTimeLive.com, you'll see that we left a few of them open and untitled because, you know, anytime we get together we like to leave space for some really cool surprises, and QuickTime Live should be no exception.

More recently, CNet writes that One of the key announcements will be that QuickTime 5.1 will support MPEG-4

Note: MPEG-4 is not the same as Divx - the popular video compression codec on the net... however, many users are hoping that Quicktime Live will bring a long awaited update to Quicktime to allow it to properly read AVI's created with this codec. (see MacDivx.com for links)

As always anything (or nothing) can happen.

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
I hope CNet is wrong and the Quicktime Live will present version 6.0. I'm also hoping the new quicktime will support .avi's they're getting real popular and I wanna watch them. I dont know what the this mpeg4 thing is all about but it sounds pretty cool, we'll see tommorow.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by rekras
I hope CNet is wrong and the Quicktime Live will present version 6.0. I'm also hoping the new quicktime will support .avi's they're getting real popular and I wanna watch them. I dont know what the this mpeg4 thing is all about but it sounds pretty cool, we'll see tommorow.
AVI is simply a wrapper format... like quicktime.. An AVI can be encoded with any number of codecs.

Quicktime is capable of reading AVI's... but if the codec is not available, it will be unable to decompress the video/audio.

Of note, there are a number of codecs that simply never made it to the Mac.

However... many of the AVI's now available of encodec with Divx. Quicktime incorrecntly (or too correctly, I suppose) reads in the AVI format without allowing for a variable bit-rate MP3 for audio. As a result, the current Divx codecs are unable to play the directly from AVI's with full sound support.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
correction: the Keynote is actually tomorrow (Tuesday)

arn

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Livestreaming keynote..

I can't get into the keynote.. anyone else out there post what's going on in the keynote? Deliver the goods!