Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rvjimzhr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
For the 3 years I've owned my Macbook Pro I've used Quicktime for short audio clips. I record music in .WMA format. I open the files with Quicktime and save them to iTunes. Never had a problem with Mavericks or Yosemite.

Since I last did the above, I updated to Sierra. Today I tried the old procedure again. NOW I get no audio when I play the saved Quicktime file. I've gone thru the usual reboots, checking settings and trying to find an answer on Google....all to no avail. Don't know if I can, or should, delete Quicktime and reinstall. Don't know what to try next. My version of Quicktime is 10.4.

Help please!

Jim

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
QuickTime can't open/decode wma audio. Maybe you had Flip4Mac installed, but I don't if it still works on recent operating systems.

rvjimzhr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Yes, I have Flip installed and have since I started doing this. It always works in the background and I don't have to do anything except open in Quicktime. So there must be a problem since Sierra. If that's the case this is very disappointing!!

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Delete what??
[doublepost=1499459632][/doublepost]I have Flip 3.3.8.1 and just updated it. No help.

I wanted to delete my post...I was thinking of Perian...... I had posted a response, while thinking of Perian, and realized the answer I had posted was useless. I don't think I have access to delete the post myself.....so I changed my message to just say delete.....I didn’t intend for you to delete anything on your machine.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Unfortunately I would say you backed the wrong horse in choosing to use the wma format.
I believe Flip4Mac is no longer supported, indeed it always seemed like a weird workaround.
I'd get a wma to aac converter and convert the works to a more current format.

rvjimzhr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
I wanted to delete my post...I was thinking of Perian...... I had posted a response, while thinking of Perian, and realized the answer I had posted was useless. I don't think I have access to delete the post myself.....so I changed my message to just say delete.....I didn’t intend for you to delete anything on your machine.

I'm not surprised as it seems I've had similar issues since I switched to this Macbook. I get used to a good program and then Apple decides not to support it OR they just don't support it from the beginning. I'll try your suggestion Squiiid. Thanks y'all for the help!

Jim
[doublepost=1499522197][/doublepost]So, does anyone know a good WMA to AAC converter?

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Flip4Mac is a old QuickTime plugin/component. Old QuickTime plugins and components have been deprecated for years. And Apple has yet to make a new plugin system for QuickTime public. So I guess since Sierra old plugins aren't working anymore.

You can try XLD to convert them.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If a video won't play (with sound) in QuickTime, I just open it with VLC.
Then it usually plays...

rvjimzhr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
ALL I want to do is convert my WMA music files so they'll play and go into iTunes. Will IINA do this and I can't find it in the APP store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.