Quicktime X Player - A major step back in a lot of ways isn't it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr-Stabby, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

I'll say now that i very much like the look of Quicktime X. But being someone who really relies on Quicktime to quickly export videos to particular formats and do quick trimming, i'm very disappointed in the Quicktime X Player.

I have Final Cut Studio, and of course I have Quicktime 7 so i can do advanced format exporting in other ways, but Quicktime Player 7 was great just for loading up movies quickly, quickly trimming them and exporting them in whatever format you wanted. Even making basic setting changes using the AV Controls was helpful.

Yes the new Quicktime X has a trimming facility, but there's actually more work involved in using it than there was in 7. Instead of just loading the clip, selecting the bit you want, then using I and O on the keyboard to trim the clip you wanted, you now have to activate the trim facility using a trim menu option or key combination, then you can only trim using the mouse, not with the keyboard as far as i can see. I'm sure i'll get used to it of course, but it's a step back as far as i'm concerned.

Then there was the brilliant 'Movie Properties' section which has now gone entirely. From there you could change the size of the video or remove audio or video tracks. If you had a surround sound audio track you could remove specific channels. Loads of other things too. All gone.

The worst of it all is the exporting capabilities. Quicktime 7's exporting capability was perfect for me. The only thing it could have added was presets for YouTube and maybe a few more consumer related export presets. Perhaps MP3 exporting too. Quicktime X has added some YouTube and other presets, lovely. But it's ONLY got that now. You can't choose specifically what file format or codec you want to use, you can only use the presets that are setup like YouTube or MobileMe gallery.

Of course i'm fine with this at the moment because Quicktime 7 is still there, but it kind of makes you think where are Apple going with Quicktime player? Are they going to stop supporting Quicktime 7 soon? Quicktime 7 is actually still the default player for all movie and audio clips, so just what is Quicktime X for? Are they eventually going to put all these features back into QTPX?

The one thing i'm worried that they're trying to do is just turn Quicktime X Player into a generic player and make you do any movie changing related stuff in iMovie. I don't have iMovie though, and i have no intention of getting iMovie because i have Final Cut. But Quicktime 7 is just a great quick way of cutting up and exporting movies, i don't want to have to waste time opening Final Cut, sticking a movie in a project and exporting it that way.

2. wilycoder macrumors 6502

Read the ArsTechnica review of snow leopard.

Quicktime needed a rewrite, badly.

3. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

That's the price of progress.

There's absolutely no way Apple can not only completely rewrite Quicktime but also keep the same features while doing it. Those features have built up over years and years. Now suddenly they have one release to rewrite the entire application and all those features?

The iPhone lacked features when it was first released because Apple had to recreate the whole OS on their own. Even with the missing features it was better. Same with Quicktime X.

4. Mr-Stabby thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, that actually makes sense. Thanks.

Here's a link to the Quicktime X part of the review:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6

So reading that, it seems as if those features will eventually return and Quicktime 7 will eventually be sacked off. They just needed to wipe the slate clean and start again. Fair enough :)

5. mrtotes macrumors newbie

For me the layer editing and the ability to rotate videos is my main use for Quicktime. So often my wife seems to hold the digital camera in portrait for video use and QT Pro could fix it in a second (Movie Properties > Rotate) or using layers to put a simple bug on the screen.

Personally I just took QT Pro (7.6.2) from my Leopard install and placed it in the SL Applications ƒ. Now I'm working through the media types (.avi from my camera for example) and setting QT Pro as the default player. Right click on the old Quicktime Player application in Finder... Get Info > Open with: Quicktime Pro (7.6.2) and "Change All..."

I think the port to 64bit is weak excuse for losing so many features.