Quinn ends death penalty in Illinois

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 9, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's about time. Good riddance.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...-commutes-15-death-row-sentences-to-life.html

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm very proud of this state this year- civil unions and ending the death penalty. We're getting there, little by little.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

honestly I think that is a good deal. It is cheaper to keep someone in prison for life that it is to give them the DP. If someone was going to get the death penalty it should be life with out parole in max security type of life. They should loose a lot of their freedoms and life the rest of their life behind bars so to speak.
    On terms of cost it is just cheaper but at the same time their life should not exactly be fun.

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Perhaps this topic isn't as controversial as most around here, but still - don't you think it'd be more fair to post a source for this? ;)

5. thefnshow macrumors regular

something i've never understood...how is it cheaper to keep someone prison for life as opposed to the death sentence?..assuming the correct person is guilty so no mistakes from wrongful death lawsuits

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I bet it has to do with court fees and lawyer fees. The cost of appeals processes outweighs someone who accepts life without parole. I think pleading guilty keeps the death penalty away in most states. So there's that to consider as well.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Appeals aren't cheap. I heard an estimate once (I'll confess I can't remember from where) that to prosecute a death penalty case from arrest to myocardial infarction costs many states upwards of $10 million.

A great deal of that cost is likely the number of lawyer-hours that both sides (and many levels of the court system) have to put into each case. Death row inmates are also confined in more expensive prisons. I'm sure all of these factors combine to be much more than a standard prison for 25+ years.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

In this Ohio prison the cost per inmate is $25,000 a year. This one is 19, though.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

$25k seems on par for most US prisons (it sounds even lower than California's average).

Appeals for death penalty cases usually run about $500,000/year though (typically at least two 6-figure attorneys, at least one judge, many paralegals and a whole bunch of other support staff), so it's easy to see why prosecuting someone to death would cost a lot, especially if the appeal runs any longer than 2 or 3 years (the point at which prison could have been paid for for 50 years).

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

But what if an Illinoisan blasphemes Muhammad, or is raped by a married man.

(I'm assuming global, religious, non-relevant, not-even-tangential conflating is still encouraged here.)

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yep. and given that most people in person are not going to be in there for 50 years. given most people are not going to be in there for 50 years.

DP cases have a lot more automatic apleas to it and easier to get stays which increase cost and so on.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I may not live in a sane state, but at least I can see one by peeking over my cubicle wall and looking out the window from my office in downtown STL. That's close enough I guess.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

One argument would be to only allow one appeal. That would save money, no?

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

can't do that. They can keep appealing to a higher court or nail them on some small tecnaclity. Plus in doing you only increase the number of innocent people killed by the state.
    DP cases in Texas for example has at least one automatic Appeal built into it.
    This is on top of any other appeals filed.

16. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Too bad. Where is the justice for the victims parents?

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Life in prison. That's the justice. Why do you think that a murder justifies more killing? Do you not see what a downward spiral that is?

Also, many innocent people have been put to death as a result of the death penalty in Illinois. How do you fix the mistake of killing an innocent person? Oops, we're sorry?

18. thefnshow macrumors regular

no it's not justice...and just because illinois is full incompetent people in the government and justice departments don't penalize everybody because of a lack of ability to do their job

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry, what? Who's being penalized?

20. gibbz macrumors 68030

Based on whose definition?

21. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I knew you would post this story, Lee. ;) From across the pond I say, welcome to the 21st century.

The death penalty is really dated. It came from a time when justice was an eye for an eye. Duels were considered the appropriate way of dealing with a conflict and carrying a weapon was a sign of authority, with or without an "official paper".

22. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Being a person whom is against killing anyone, I'm naturally opposed to the death penalty. No exceptions, no buts, just no.

I'm glad to see more people joining the ranks of us civilized people. Granted, you won't have a full membership until you do away with all the gay-bashing nonsense and stuff like that.

Wow, I'm really elitist today. :)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The whole point of the justice system should be to remove the punishment from the personal zone. What about those who kill old people with no living parents? Are they somehow less accountable? Would you like parents - and only parents - to be able to personally throw the switch? Your view of justice is primitive and barbarous.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's a step in the right direction, but honestly a lot of work needs to be done with our justice system. Who is gets retribution or is rehabilitated with a life in prison sentence?

I know someone who has gone to jail for six months (for a nonviolent moron in the wrong place/time situation) who didn't learn anything other than the drug trade.