quotes by great people

indifference

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Pacific Northwest
hey a quote to song I wrote this is, "We need you the way we need water in our life, the day the day the son no longer rises is the day we no longer see the son."

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
indifference said:
one I made up, are the smartest people the ones that don't watch TV and listen to classical music?
Not so much a quote as it is a question...

Perhaps stick to the more famous ones ;)

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
How about one that can get a guy in a bit of trouble (said to the wrong woman)?:

"Women are like elephants. I like to look at 'em, but I wouldn't want to own one." - W.C. Fields

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Or another favorite:

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

If anyone knows who coined that phrase, let me know.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell

MP2

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2005
"Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely the dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons." Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Gas, grass, or ass, nobody rides for free. :D

One of my favorites:

"Once upon a time, there was what there was, and if nothing had happened, there would be nothing to tell"
-Charles de Lint

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
evoluzione said:
John Kerry? talking about George Dubya Bush perhaps? ;)
No probably not, but hypothetically, lets say Kerry did say it. The big question then would be: What did Bush say in rebuttal?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
dvdh said:
No probably not, but hypothetically, lets say Kerry did say it. The big question then would be: What did Bush say in rebuttal?
Probably something like, "I'd love to stay and chat Senator Kerry, but I've got an inauguration to get to."

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Lady Astor to Churchill "If you were my husband I'd put poison in your coffee"
Churchill to Lady Astor "If I were your husband I'd drink it"
Kind of sums up some of my old relationships :D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Lyle said:
Probably something like, "I'd love to stay and chat Senator Kerry, but I've got an inauguration to get to."
I can't stand Bush... but that was a good one. ;)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - attributed to Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, termed in various ways. Something those who tend to quote both men (Lincoln as well) would be well suited not to forget. :ahem: Not that this should be ruined and turned into a political debate mind you.