QUT student faces $200,000 bill in Facebook post racism row

cfedu

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/qut-student-faces-200000-bill-in-facebook-post-racism-row-20160415-go7951.html

A university student accused of racial discrimination over a Facebook post has amassed a hefty legal bill, which could blow out to $200,000 if the case goes to trial.

Alex Wood is being sued under the Racial Discrimination Act over a 2013 post he wrote after being asked to leave a Queensland University of Technology computer lab reserved for the use of Indigenous students.

Three university students are being sued, alongside the university and two staff, by the administration officer who asked a student to leave the room. Photo: GLENN HUNT
"Just got kicked out of the unsigned Indigenous computer room. QUT is stopping segregation with segregation," he posted on a Facebook page called QUT Stalker Space.

The post attracted comments critical of both the incident and the existence of the Indigenous-only space.

"I wonder where the white supremacist lab is," wrote another student, Jackson Powell, who is also being sued.

The third student involved in the lawsuit, Calum Thwaites, has emphatically denied being responsible for a post that included a reference to "ITT N-----s" and has produced a volume of evidence supporting his denial.

The trio are being sued, alongside the university and two staff, by the administration officer who asked Mr Wood to leave the room, Cindy Prior.

An Indigenous woman, Ms Prior went on sick leave following the incident and reports she felt unsafe leaving her home because she was afraid somebody would say something offensive to her.

She also says she was unable to return to work in a role that required her to have face-to-face contact with white people.

Ms Prior is seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.

Lawyers for the students have sought to have the case dismissed in the Federal Court, citing a lack of legal basis to contend their clients had breached the act and labelling the lawsuit an abuse of process.

Judge Michael Jarrett has reserved his decision.

It is understood the trio's lawyers have spent several hundred hours defending the action.

A legal source told AAP the costs of defending the proceeding would have already run into tens of thousands of dollars for Mr Wood and could rise to about $200,000 if the case went to trial.

The cumulative bill for the students to defend the case at trial could be more than $500,000.

The trio have also hit out at QUT, claiming they were kept in the dark about Ms Prior's complaint to the Human Rights Commission and, therefore, deprived of having the matter thrown out earlier.

Under the Racial Discrimination Act, complainants must go through a conciliation process before a Federal Court action can be launched and the Human Rights Commission says more than half of all section 18C cases have been resolved at that level.

But the students were not made aware of the complaint until days before a final conference with the commission, despite the matter having been underway for 12 months, and Mr Wood claims a QUT lawyer told him he did not need to attend.

QUT's law firm, Minter Ellison, admits one of its solicitors told Mr Wood his presence was not required but denies she discouraged him from attending.
I really like this part

An Indigenous woman, Ms Prior went on sick leave following the incident and reports she felt unsafe leaving her home because she was afraid somebody would say something offensive to her.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
well unless those people have been bullied beaten up and treated like crap like we do to native americans.
The record with native treatment from best to worst is New Zealand, Canada, Australia, the US.

I still don't see how that justifies native only computer rooms, there was never any shortage of computer rooms at my university.

And complaining about the policy seems perfectly reasonable.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
The record with native treatment from best to worst is New Zealand, Canada, Australia, the US.

I still don't see how that justifies native only computer rooms, there was never any shortage of computer rooms at my university.

And complaining about the policy seems perfectly reasonable.
I don't know I was not there and neither were you. long distance judging is pretty silly really but a favorite past time of the OP.

cfedu

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't know I was not there and neither were you. long distance judging is pretty silly really but a favorite past time of the OP.
Attack the messenger, how typical!

They were facebook posts, no need to be there.

"Just got kicked out of the unsigned Indigenous computer room. QUT is stopping segregation with segregation," Racist and warrant a lawsuit?

well unless those people have been bullied beaten up and treated like crap like we do to native americans.
The above really shows your true colours in that you can actually make an excuse for this. Lets be honest, you will not be happy until free speech is abolished, and the world is made into one big safe space for you and your ilk!

Last edited:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Attack the messenger, how typical!

They were facebook posts, no need to be there. How is

"Just got kicked out of the unsigned Indigenous computer room. QUT is stopping segregation with segregation," Racist and warrant a lawsuit?

The above really shows your true colours in that you can actually make an excuse for this. Lets be honest, you will not be happy until free speech is abolished, and the world is made into one big safe space for you and your ilk!
You have no clue about it you don't live there even. My true colors are not to make fun on people you have absolutely no clue about. This is not the US were we know how we treated native Americans. You have only one side of the story.
I am not making excuses because I have no clue just like you.

cfedu

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
You have no clue about it you don't live there even. My true colors are not to make fun on people you have absolutely no clue about. This is not the US were we know how we treated native Americans. You have only one side of the story.

I do have a clue.

"Just got kicked out of the unsigned Indigenous computer room. QUT is stopping segregation with segregation,"

This is not racist no matter where in the world you are and does not merit a law suit for saying that!!!

I can't even dream of a scenario outside of North Korea that this could even be a problem. I;m trying to think of an example even bringing in Godwin's laws and can't think of one. You may agree with the racist policy of the school, but to agree with a suit for this Facebook post is just unimaginable.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I do have a clue.

"Just got kicked out of the unsigned Indigenous computer room. QUT is stopping segregation with segregation,"

This is not racist no matter where in the world you are and does not merit a law suit for saying that!!!

I can't even dream of a scenario outside of North Korea that this could even be a problem. I;m trying to think of an example even bringing in Godwin's laws and can't think of one. You may agree with the racist policy of the school, but to agree with a suit for this Facebook post is just unimaginable.
Of course you know the post is truthful right you saw both sides? Nope your going by one version.

cfedu

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Of course you know the post is truthful right you saw both sides? Nope your going by one version.
Here is another source from the rightwing Huff post

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/queensland-university-of-technology-students-face-racial-discrimination-case_uk_57110ae5e4b0dc55ceea7a9e

"Just got kicked out of the unsigned Indigenous computer room. QUT is stopping segregation with segregation," he posted on a Facebook page called QUT Stalker Space.
Since this is a Facebook, I'm sure there is some evidence to back it up. Until there is more information, I can only go by what the MSM is reporting. If you have more information, please provide it.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
So they may have said some vary racist things but the are fully innocent? There really is little info on this.

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
So they may have said some vary racist things but the are fully innocent? There really is little info on this.
This may be valid, but honestly based on your previous posts, if the situation had been reversed, you probably would have been singing a different song.

cfedu

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Alex Wood the student I quoted made one post and nothing was racist about it.

"Just got kicked out of the unsigned Indigenous computer room. QUT is stopping segregation with segregation," .

Here is another source

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/racial-stoush-erupts-over-qut-computer-lab/news-story/b80de339339f2d5588839ac06f3c8909

A legal reply from Mr Powell’s lawyer, Tony Morris QC, alleges that Ms Prior had breached the Discrimination Act herself by not permitting fee-paying students to use the computers on the basis of their ethnicity. “(Ms) Prior conceived it to be part of the duties of her employment, and took it upon herself, to police and enforce the discriminatory constraint,’’ the legal reply states.
But Dr Hayes, a QUT lecturer, is accused in the legal action of having stated at the time that “it seems a bit silly” to kick someone out of an indigenous computer lab for not being indigenous when there are computers not being used. She had suggested that Ms Prior may have been in breach of QUT policy by asking students who visited the Oodgeroo Unit whether they were indigenous.

Looks like she is the racist and they one who should be sued. It does not surprise me that you would defend a racist.

Reactions: satcomer and AFDoc

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
This may be valid, but honestly based on your previous posts, if the situation had been reversed, you probably would have been singing a different song.
I don't like racism that's true but fake racism is not good either. I do have less empathy for white people suffering from it because we have pretty much been racists all though history.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Do you have a citation for that?
Dude if you need proof white men are racist you have been living under a rock.
Native Americans slaves crusades Christianity missionaries all though history unless you choose to ignore it. It is in our courts in our jails in the south. But I know it is all fake.

Reactions: Eraserhead

cfedu

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Dude if you need proof white men are racist you have been living under a rock.
Native Americans slaves crusades Christianity missionaries all though history unless you choose to ignore it. It is in our courts in our jails in the south. But I know it is all fake.
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence

I do have less empathy for white people suffering from it because we have pretty much been racists all though history.
Edit:

BTW, 2 of your 3 examples have nothing to do with race but rather religion. LOL

Last edited:

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
I don't like racism that's true but fake racism is not good either. I do have less empathy for white people suffering from it because we have pretty much been racists all though history.
What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure white people born recently have nothing to do with slavery or discrimination of the past. Why is it more ok for them to be discriminated against just because people of their same color committed atrocities long ago? Can you not see how that's racist itself?

Reactions: giantfan1224

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
bleh

I do have a clue.

Don't bother engaging with logic, that person is very obviously a troll. No one can literally be that dense.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The United States is one of the few nations where freedom of speech is considered an inalienable right.

The Snowflake Rebellion is trying to change that, though.
I am well aware of that. There is a movement trying to police social media for comments they don't like. Even the UN had a silly conference on this where they call online harassment violence. You can't commit violence without a physical presence.