R.I.P. 15" cMBP -- Are you happy or not about it's demise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RobbyIdol, Oct 22, 2013.

1. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

So it looks like the 15" cMBP has gone the way of it's 17" bigger brother. I can't say this is unexpected, but I will say that (for me, at least), it's a disappointment. I ran a 15" cMBP since 2007, my main workhorse, only recently switching for 13" cMBP in 2013.

I haven't gone for any of the Retina machines simply because they lack a Superdrive. Yes, I still use CD/DVDs now and then. Mostly DVDs, mostly because I don't store my media in the Cloud or need GB's (or TB's) of storage on my hard drive at all times.

I don't want to make this a debate about the usefulness of a Superdrive. I know it's on the way out, technologically speaking, and I know most people here like to stay at the very edge of the Apple curve and are more than willing to drop the Superdrive (or already have).

But I'm curious how many other folks are bummed the 15" classic option is now obsolete?

Looks like when I get a new computer (as I was thinking to do, since the graphics capabilities of my 13" cMBP aren't enough for my needs), I won't be going Apple for my workhorse. I can see myself picking up an 11" Air one day for portability purposes, but my main machine is looking to be something non-Apple in the future. :(

2. samtheman. macrumors newbie

I'm also not happy how it is. The SuperDrive, the anti-glare Option or Even the batteryindicator were nice Features.

I planned to buy One After todays Event but now i'm not quite sure what is going to Happen.

3. kunai macrumors regular

I'M SO HAPPY THAT I CAN NO LONGER DO ANY UPGRADES TO MY COMPUTER OR SEE THE BATTERY STATUS IMMEDIATELY OR HAVE AN ANTIGLARE SCREEN (GLOSSY LOOKS SOOOOO SHINEEEEEeeEeEEYYYYY) OR KNOW WHETHER MY COMPUTER IS SLEEPING OR NOT OR USE AN APPLE REMOTE TO CONTROL iTUNES WITH OR LISTEN CDs BECAUSE WHO CARES THAT CDs HAVE BETTER QUALITY THAN iTUNES? APPLE IS THE BEST AND WE HAVE TO LISTEN TO THEM AND IF THEY SAY OPTICAL MEDIA SUCKS, **** GOOD-QUALITY FLAC-RIPPABLE OPTICAL MEDIA!

I'M SO HAPPY THAT I NOW HAVE A MARGINALLY THINNER MACHINE EVEN THOUGH IT ENTAILS ALL THESE SACRIFICES

RETINA DISPLAY, YIPPPEEEEEEEE!!!1111

/s

4. leman macrumors 604

Well, slimming down is the natural evolution for computers. PCs as they exist now, are (as so many things) result of technological drawbacks. We are now getting to the point where a slim, light machine is powerful enough for day to day usage. I am not happy or unhappy per se, as I lost my interest in cMBP and similar 'upgradable' computers long time ago - in the end they don't bring any reasonable benefits to the table, despite being slightly cheaper (and much heavier).

I do applaud Apple's bold move though. As so many times before, they are setting future trends right now ;)

@kunai: dude, you need to chill. And it seems that you are confusing a music player with a computer.

5. StockDC2 macrumors regular

I raffed. Well played my friend, well played.

6. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I miss the Ethernet port. Not only is it still faster than wifi, it is also configuration free, as it requires no password to access, and a lot more reliable, too.

On the one hand it's almost 2014 already, on the other - my office wifi has glitches about once a week which leaves my laptop with no network access unless I plug in a cable. No idea what its problem is, but I have to say, the way wifi works in all the variety of environments today, it is not always sufficient for pro level tasks. And don't even mention the stupid thunderbolt dongle - that's just a liability.

For why did they not add the retina screen to the "fat" classic MBP? It would be the perfect option for so many people. I would love a better screen, but in every other respect I'm completely happy with my 2008 MBP.

7. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I'd say it's a bit of a bummer as it has been nice to upgrade my cMBP beyond the top-spec Apple offered, however my current concern is...

...how will this impact prices for used models? I will happily replace my cMBP with even a bottom-spec Mac Pro, but if the used market tanks then that just means that much more money out of pocket to get the Mac Pro when I go to sell my cMBP.

All my cMBP does now is act as a second display, otherwise it's basically a desktop replacement. I wouldn't mind reclaiming some desk space. :)

8. CitrusPisser macrumors member

Not happy, glad I got a 2012 model earlier this year when I could.

9. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

i don't care much, as i still can buy a cMBP, refurbished, or second hand or what not.

Now, if apple doesn't release a notebook with kengshinton lock, and with upgradable RAM and SSD (i think ssd is possible to upgrade, but not easily), they lost me as a client. And android is already better in tablets and phones.

10. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I'm sure they won't decrease in price, Apple products never do.. Otherwise I'm going out and purchasing one! I loved the design and having a superdrive built in was one of the best parts. I upgraded from a MacBook (black) with a drive to a MacBook Air and I can't say that I have missed the drive... Sometimes software installs are a pain but thats about it. The only reason why now I am looking for a MacBook Pro with a superdrive was just the sturdiness and chunkiness that they had... It was nice to hold and they seemed almost unbreakable... Also made you feel like a real pro. My 11" Air is cool enough but lacks that finesse that a Classic MacBook Pro had. I mean I love the new Retina models but why discontinue the c15"? I know of people who still bought it.. But thats technology... Remember when the iMac ditched something or other... Floppies? Now we don't even think about them any more... Maybe thats the way we will see this in a few years time...

----------

Just saying, there's always the Superdrive to plug in... I mean Apple didn't ditch it completely!

11. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MWALL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-27ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

Maybe I should ask more than $2200 for mine considering mine has 16GB, SSD, and AppleCare? :)

The refurb I linked is what mine started out as, I think asking $2200 for that but w/ 512GB SSD, 16GB memory and AppleCare is...reasonable. :)

12. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Don't forget that is a refurb and I don't even want to see what my machine's price is on there... Stick it on eBay and it'll go for that sort of price I think...

Technology always decreases in price... Its not (real) gold... You didn't buy your Mac as an investment did you? :p I'm sure the price decrease is the same as the year before, just you hadn't noticed because you didn't buy the previous year. Prices will drop after the first year however they seem to level out in the latter years.. I mean my Black MacBook is still worth about £200 ($350) which I am amazed at.. Thats Apple for ya :D

If you can't sell it and don't want it, I'll have it :p

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

False hope and hollow threats. You should know these things aren't going to happen ever again.

14. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Exactly, it's a refurb. Mine may be used, but still has 1.5 years of AppleCare left and lots of goodies so I think $2200 is fair. It's not like someone is buying it without any sort of warranty.

I also have the original box, etc. No sales tax from me, either. ;) I threw it up on CL today, so we'll see what happens. No rush to sell it, curious to see what kind of response I get, though.

15. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Actually, with the introduction of the 802.11ac, wifi is now faster than ethernet. :cool:

16. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Theoretically, maybe. But it has to be supported on both ends, and even then it's only true under ideal conditions - signal degradation can happen very easily in the real world.

17. thehustleman macrumors 65816

THAT would have been the smartest thing apple could have done!

Put a better screen and even a solid state drive and bam, perfect laptop and I can still upgrade my memory (as ALL laptops should allow).

And if you don't use the optical drive, take it out and put another hard drive in it.

18. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

But how many people have 802.11ac wireless networks at work and/or at home?

I for one love the design of the Retina MacBook Pro, but the lack of a 17" screen really puts me off. The fact that the Retina systems are barely able to be upgraded doesn't help either. I think my 17" Early 2011 MacBook Pro will be the last Apple laptop I get. I just can't bring myself to spend $2000+ on another laptop let alone one that can't really be upgraded.

19. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

Happy? Not really the emotion I'd use to describe it. It wasn't causing me any issues or distress by being available -- it served a purpose in their line-up.

I think they got rid of it one cycle too early, but there would be quite a bit of price and spec overlap I suppose, although I can't imagine it would have been hard to just have one BTO-able model of the old one.

20. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm all for forward progression but this is Apple taking one huge step. I liked how they kept the cMBP when they released the rMBP because just because it made sense on price alone. We all knew Apple was eventually going to go to an all-retina lineup and phase out the cMBP but I didn't think they would only offer a base and high-end with no option in the middle (WRT 15-inch, discrete GPU).

22. witchkitten macrumors newbie

I'm bummed because I can't stand glossy screens. While the retina display is less glossy than the old glossy screens, it's still very glossy. I can see my reflection in the retina display and it drives me nuts. Not to mention that my couch, where I primarily use my computer, is right in front of a large window, which means I can't see anything on a glossy screen. My antiglare screen is at least usable in front of that window, unlike my husband's glossy screen. I really hope that Apple brings back the antiglare option like they did the last time they discontinued it.

The only other complaint I have is the cost of hard drive space. The SSDs are super expensive compared to the old hard disks. For someone like me who needs a lot of space, it's now going to cost $700 more for 1 TB instead of $100 more. But at least there's the option, unlike with the display.

23. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Hard disk space is the biggest one. Plus the fact that now everyone will eventually have a retina macbook pro now, which makes you not feel as "Pro" or "Exclusive" since everyone else will have one.

24. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Bye. It's not going to happen. You have to accept the future, and plan accordingly.