R.I.P. The old school MacBook Air (October 20, 2010 - July 9, 2019)

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Is the new model a redesign? Other than the keyboard is it physically any different from the previous version?

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Both my 13inch and 11inch i7/8GB 2015 MacBook Airs are well and alive and still being used today. I have refreshed the batteries in both of these laptops and upgraded their storage drive to NVMe M.2 and love the performance upgrades... I'm not in a rush to get another laptop.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The 12” MacBook was discontinued too though.
I think a 12" MacBook with an ARM chip may be on the horizon.

Some have suggested Apple discontinued the MB because of the chip architecture and the way Intel continues to drag its feet on making chip advancement.

I feel as thought Apple tried to recapture the MacBook Air magic with the 12" MacBook but the hardware bounced the check. As a result, things were kind of abandoned and the device never really improved sufficiently.

The Air almost got to that point but I suspect Apple was shocked people kept buying the Air when the MacBook came out and someone finally said "Dang, we have to update this thing"

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
I think a 12" MacBook with an ARM chip may be on the horizon.

Some have suggested Apple discontinued the MB because of the chip architecture and the way Intel continues to drag its feet on making chip advancement.

I feel as thought Apple tried to recapture the MacBook Air magic with the 12" MacBook but the hardware bounced the check. As a result, things were kind of abandoned and the device never really improved sufficiently.

The Air almost got to that point but I suspect Apple was shocked people kept buying the Air when the MacBook came out and someone finally said "Dang, we have to update this thing"
But the hardware on the Air isn’t much better than the MacBook. I do think Intel’s slow progress on 10nm was an issue. Plus the new chips will be 9W when they do arrive, which the MacBook wasn’t designed to handle. It’s the perfect size for a notebook, though.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
To me, this is very unfortunate. The MacBook really did represent the future of mobile computing more than the Air. The design and the fact that it was fanless was great, but unfortunately the keyboard wasn’t, which is why I won’t buy one. If they reintroduce it with a redesigned keyboard I would.

Reactions: Saturn007 and KPOM

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
To me, this is very unfortunate. The MacBook really did represent the future of mobile computing more than the Air. The design and the fact that it was fanless was great, but unfortunately the keyboard wasn’t, which is why I won’t buy one. If they reintroduce it with a redesigned keyboard I would.
I got used to the keyboard, but I agree it would be nice if an improved 2lb MacBook comes back soon.

Reactions: myrtlebee

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I got used to the keyboard, but I agree it would be nice if an improved 2lb MacBook comes back soon.
I’m not talking about getting used to the keyboard being different, I am referring to the fact that the design is faulty and prone to failure.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
It’s a shame they never just put a retina screen in the existing form factor.

That would’ve made it the very best laptop ever for many of us who had that one single gripe with it.

I am still running a 2010 MBA on a regular basis. By far the best computer I've owned. I much prefer it to my 2017 MacBook Pro 15 that I find hard to type on and to big to take with me.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I had a 2014 Air which I gave to my mom in 2017 when I got a MBP. I loved it to death while it was mine. Excellent build quality and battery, an excellent Word+Excel+Netflix+Spotify machine (great speakers!). And before I got my first Retina Mac, I didn't give a flying F about Retina.

I was back at home the other day and she asked me to do something for her on the Mac.

Jesus, that screen is complete, utter, absolute and unacceptable garbage in 2019. I couldn't believe how bad it looked, and I simply adored my little Air. You'd need to be mad to spend $1000 on one in 2019.

Good thing it's been put to rest. It's better left in our collective memory as the little laptop that could, or something.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
I just got a 2017 model. I can see why people love them even with that screen.
That pretty much sums up the sentiments of us fans of the "classic" MBA. :) I think it is a classic design with a minimal number of ports that are enough to do what needs to get done. A great balance.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I had a 2014 Air which I gave to my mom in 2017 when I got a MBP. I loved it to death while it was mine. Excellent build quality and battery, an excellent Word+Excel+Netflix+Spotify machine (great speakers!). And before I got my first Retina Mac, I didn't give a flying F about Retina.

I was back at home the other day and she asked me to do something for her on the Mac.

Jesus, that screen is complete, utter, absolute and unacceptable garbage in 2019. I couldn't believe how bad it looked, and I simply adored my little Air. You'd need to be mad to spend $1000 on one in 2019.

Good thing it's been put to rest. It's better left in our collective memory as the little laptop that could, or something.
Guess I was “mad”:p for wanting a comfortable keyboard, more storage and enough ports for a blogging machine. The screen doesn’t bother me much.

Considering my vision, that was a nice surprise.

I won’t rip on the new Air.

Skipping it to buy the older model says everything in my case.:)

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Did Apple ever say it was discontinued? Didn’t the iPad Air go away and come back? I have a feeling this could too in another form. I’m not convinced Apple has decided the future of the laptop is an iPad Pro.

Jg75

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
I am still running a 2010 MBA on a regular basis. By far the best computer I've owned. I much prefer it to my 2017 MacBook Pro 15 that I find hard to type on and to big to take with me.
I'm still keeping my late 2010 MBA in the closet, running Snow Leopard, alongside my 2017 i7 512 that I use for daily tasks. I'm taking it out for a spin once in a while, treating it like a veteran car owner.