Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you disappointed?

• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • It would be nice, but doesn’t play into what I think of iPhone X, one way or another

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
This was a rumor that was stirring, to lessen the blow of the shocking sticker price.

There’s tons of threads debating how much people will adjust to Face ID replacing Touch ID, and other iPhone X features, but I figured I’d create a poll specific to the thread title

Because I’m curious :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Assuming I was buying then no, I wouldn't be disappointed.

I have other services (and they are free).

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
They should have been yes, that would help justify the cost.

But then again on a counter argument not everybody would want that and could say remove all that and give me it cheaper.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
They should have been yes, that would help justify the cost.

But then again on a counter argument not everybody would want that and could say remove all that and give me it cheaper.

True but considering they didn't lower the price and it was still around what it was rumored to be, one could argue the AirPods pack in for people who don't want it or already have a pair could resell it and decrease the price by about $100 and change

Or have a backup pair

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
No. They would just add it to the price. And Apple knows that most who really want the other things will probably buy them anyway.

For arguments sake I know it's a huge assumption and leap given how apple nickel and dimes everything, but let's operate under the pretense that by "pack in" I mean that the established prices have remain unchanged and these are freebies.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
True but considering they didn't lower the price and it was still around what it was rumored to be, one could argue the AirPods pack in for people who don't want it or already have a pair could resell it and decrease the price by about $100 and change

Or have a backup pair
Oh then yes I definitely agree.

Whilst I have no interest in AirPods, yes throw me in a pair with amongst other things, and at least make me feel I'm getting bang for my buck!

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
For arguments sake I know it's a huge assumption and leap given how apple nickel and dimes everything, but let's operate under the pretense that by "pack in" I mean that the established prices have remain unchanged and these are freebies.

I would *love* that but I never anticipated it.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
I think they should have included several months of Music and a fast-charger in the box for the price they're asking. That's not asking for much and it'd be a small, but welcome, gesture to those dropping over $1,000 on a phone.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

The AirPods are too expensive to be given away as freebies. That would have been a really poor business decision & it would have devalued AirPods as premium items.

Or have a backup pair

If AirPods were given out free with the new iPhones then the selling price wouldn't have remained at $100. Because of my previous point about devaluation of the product line.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
The AirPods are too expensive to be given away as freebies. That would have been a really poor business decision & it would have devalued AirPods as premium items.

If AirPods were given out free with the new iPhones then the selling price wouldn't have remained at $100. Because of my previous point about devaluation of the product line.

You are overthinking my hypothetical scenario

I’m sure there is healthy margin on iPhone X, so ASSUME they were pack-ins like the rumors.

Or dont, but the nature of a hypothetical scenario is that its hypothetical.

It’s not a matter of would it happen or not or even could it happen or not from a business perspective, it clearly didn’t happen. But there were rumors stirring that they may have been packed in, and remained around $1000+

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You are overthinking my hypothetical scenario

I’m sure there is healthy margin on iPhone X, so ASSUME they were pack-ins like the rumors.

Or dont, but the nature of a hypothetical scenario is that its hypothetical.

It’s not a matter of would it happen or not or even could it happen or not from a business perspective, it clearly didn’t happen. But there were rumors stirring that they may have been packed in, and remained around $1000+

Hypothesis needs to be based on something. I feel like such expectations are baseless. That's why I tried to explain based on your title. You only get disappointed if you expect unlikely things to happen.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
This was a rumor that was stirring, to lessen the blow of the shocking sticker price.

There’s tons of threads debating how much people will adjust to Face ID replacing Touch ID, and other iPhone X features, but I figured I’d create a poll specific to the thread title

Because I’m curious :D

It's a no win for Apple. If they threw in AirPods people would've bitched that they don't want them therefore the phone should cost $900.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I fail to see what including those goodies would do to make the ipX more desirable or more amendable (beyond the mere fact that they would be free).

I'd even argue the opposite...Apple is trying to sweeten what some say is a lemon sour.

I just watched another video of the ipX.

From the kinda dim OLED screen (as opposed to the gorgeous Samsung displays on the S8/+), to the paltry 64gb entry model, those silly ears/cutout at the top, etc...this iPhone is not worthy of prime time.

Steve Jobs would not have signed off on it (but that is a pure subjective opinion) even as Apple brought up numerous references to him on Tuesday.

But hey, people...go out and buy it. Make sure you pre-order it. Tell your family and friends what a great phone it is.

I'm sure there are plenty of Apple stockholders out there (myself included) and every sale Apple rings up is money for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadoggfather

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Besides the obvious (not enough AirPods) AirPods are a bargain when you think about what it entails at 159. You have the wireless air buds with a charging case that provides 24 hrs of charge (I can go days without charging my AirPods) and each AirPods have its own microphone plus Siri...seriously, the reason I think it's so hard to get is because they haven't worked out the kinks (getting the pricing down so they can massproduce these at a profit). As of now I bet they're breaking even if not losing.

The greedy part of me would say heck yes to the Q.

The business side of me would think that's stupid.

The apple side of me would say, that's something the androids would do.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I fail to see what including those goodies would do to make the ipX more desirable or more amendable (beyond the mere fact that they would be free).

I'd even argue the opposite...Apple is trying to sweeten what some say is a lemon sour.

I just watched another video of the ipX.

From the kinda dim OLED screen (as opposed to the gorgeous Samsung displays on the S8/+), to the paltry 64gb entry model, those silly ears/cutout at the top, etc...this iPhone is not worthy of prime time.

Steve Jobs would not have signed off on it (but that is a pure subjective opinion) even as Apple brought up numerous references to him on Tuesday.

But hey, people...go out and buy it. Make sure you pre-order it. Tell your family and friends what a great buy it is.

I'm sure there are plenty of Apple stockholders out there (myself included) and every sale Apple rings up is money for us.

Can you link me to videos where the display looks dim?

That seems troubling considering OLED Is the most appealing part of the X (for me)

Playing the panel lottery for a 1149$ phone is something I wouldn't have much patience for. Beyond being exhausted by it in general anyways

But lucked out with my first 7Plus phew
[doublepost=1505438680][/doublepost]
Besides the obvious (not enough AirPods) AirPods are a bargain when you think about what it entails at 159. You have the wireless air buds with a charging case that provides 24 hrs of charge (I can go days without charging my AirPods) and each AirPods have its own microphone plus Siri...seriously, the reason I think it's so hard to get is because they haven't worked out the kinks (getting the pricing down so they can massproduce these at a profit). As of now I bet they're breaking even if not losing.

The greedy part of me would say heck yes to the Q.

The business side of me would think that's stupid.

The apple side of me would say, that's something the androids would do.

I seriously doubt they are breaking even or losing but ...

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

That seems troubling considering OLED Is the most appealing part of the X (for me)

Playing the panel lottery for a 1149$ phone is something I wouldn't have much patience for. Beyond being exhausted by it in general anyways

I just saw EverythingApplePro's "10 Reasons NOT to buy iPhone X"

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I actually spoke to someone on the finance team.

Even before I did though, you gotta think about that price point. I purchased over the head noise canceling beats for $400. I've purchased regular old headphones from master dynamics for near $400. And I got the AirPods for $159?

Before their release the closest to the AirPods didn't hold as long of a charge and was $300.

If you've dealt with manufacturers and freight costs, yes, it's easy to believe.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I actually spoke to someone on the finance team.

Even before I did though, you gotta think about that price point. I purchased over the head noise canceling beats for $400. I've purchased regular old headphones from master dynamics for near $400. And I got the AirPods for $159?

Before their release the closest to the AirPods didn't hold as long of a charge and was $300.

If you've dealt with manufacturers and freight costs, yes, it's easy to believe.

You’re comparing two entirely different products tho.

Beats are overpriced period (I liked my solo 2’s that I later traded up for solo 3’s on sale at $149 earlier this year dont get me wrong, but MSRP beats are overpriced), and noise cancelling is a different market.

BeatsX are also $149 which is pretty close to AirPods at $159 and they were back to school freebies.
[doublepost=1505441007][/doublepost]
I just saw EverythingApplePro's "10 Reasons NOT to buy iPhone X"

Just watched MHKBD’s video and he said his Note 8 was definitely brighter, and had concerns of brightness in general, but “obviously no one could bring the phone outside”

Not exactly confidence instilling

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
You’re comparing two entirely different products tho.

Beats are overpriced period (I liked my solo 2’s that I later traded up for solo 3’s on sale at $149 earlier this year dont get me wrong, but MSRP beats are overpriced), and noise cancelling is a different market.

BeatsX are also $149 which is pretty close to AirPods at $159 and they were back to school freebies.
[doublepost=1505441007][/doublepost]

Just watched MHKBD’s video and he said his Note 8 was definitely brighter, and had concerns of brightness in general, but “obviously no one could bring the phone outside”

Not exactly confidence instilling
Beatsx still has a wire in between, only one side with the microphone.

No portable charger along with it.

And as you said, beats are overpriced. The noise cancelling isn't really noise cancelling and, they're overpriced, it's okay to give it as a freebie I guess for students struggling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.