Rabbi blows Chrislamic dog-whistle

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Rabbi says Catholic Church is imposing Sharia Law

Rabbi Arthur Waskow, the well known Rabbi who is founder and director of New York's Shalom Center, has this week condemned what he calls the Catholic Church's 'outrageous attempt to impose sharia law on the US government and the American public.'

Writing in the Huffington Post, Waskow, one of the twenty most influential Rabbis in the nation, clarifies that he is not speaking of Muslim sharia, but what he calls a Roman Catholic equivalent 'sharia' with regard to contraception.

The US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is trying to impose on Americans of all faiths and beliefs who happen to work in Catholic-sponsored hospitals or university throughout the nation, Waskow claims.

Muslims have not been campaigning to impose sharia law on US courts he continues, yet they have had to listen to various Republican candidates for President condemn non-existent attempts to impose sharia on the US public, meanwhile, actual attempts at doing this are ongoing by the Catholic bishops, Waskow contends.

98 percent of Catholic women use artificial contraception Waskow notes, and the rate among non-Catholic women is 99 percent. Clearly they do not obey the teachings on sexuality from what he called the all-male, all-celibate hierarchy.

Sorry, but this is absurd, just throwing "Sharia" around to upset people. I am not at all in favor of Catholic, or any other, theocracy (rhymes with hypocrisy), but the Muslim boogeyman desperately needs to be retired.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I find it extremely apt. Both are repressive reactionary systems designed by male theocrats.

3. remmy macrumors 6502a

Kind a agree, same thing different name.

Also agree with your comment, hate the way people use Muslim as something terrible.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I fully agree with the Rabbi. This isn't so much using the muslim bogieman, more showing that the catholic church is no different so in effect neither is a "bogieman" though clearly neither should have their views enshrined in law.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

So, it's okay to call out Islamists for sharia law, but ignore Christian attempts at promoting theocracy?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It was the best way to make the point, sometimes people need comparisons to really hit the point home. Wish I'd thought of it...

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Excellent analogy. Mazel tov Rabbi.

Both are attempting to use a book of fairy tales to impose their beliefs on others.

[​IMG]

8. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Wow, just how the word "terrorist" was underextended only to mean radical muslims, "sharia law" has been overextended to any radical religious laws.
    Somehow, everything negative has to link back to Islam.:rolleyes:

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sharia is the boogeyman word because Islamic people kill and or threaten others for burning books or drawing Mohammed. Stop pulling that **** and you won't be used as the worst case scenario. I would get rid of Islam before Catholicism, but just by a hair. I hate when religions try to play the victim when they have fully earned their titles.

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I find humor in how everyone is patting the Rabbi on the back yet, out of all the religions based on the God of Abraham, the Jewish religion is the least forgiving and most strict. For those of you knowledgeable with the Old Testament and the laws, punishments and social structure of its writings, the irony is overwhelming.

11. Fazzy macrumors 6502

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You can't shove a lack of beliefs down someone's throat. Its like giving north Koreans access to the actual world. You aren't shoving reality down their throat its just the way it is.

The problem is that religious people believe their belief system is realistic.

And this is the first time I've been called a liberal on this board. I am intolerant of adults believing fairy tales, in this you are correct.

13. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Ofcourse you can shove a lack of belief down someones throat. If you believe that your "system" is the correct one then so be it, ive stressed that you can believe whatever you like a million times. But when I or any other theist does the same, why do we get the ridicule and insults? Your beliefs or lack of them seem equally farcical to us.

I wasn't complementing you as a liberal. But if you believe in tolerance of any kind, then you will definitely not be making statements like "get rid of all religion". It makes you just as bad, no actually worse then religious nuts who demand that you believe the same as they do. Atleast they dont try to deny that they're intolerant.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I believe in tolerance for many things, adults acting like children is not one of them.

15. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Now that really is tolerance now isnt it.:rolleyes:

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Shall we tolerate those who believe the world is flat and thus we should stop exports overseas as they might fall off the side of the world? It is a belief that the world is flat. Why not?

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are you really that obtuse? No one is patting him on the back because of his religion, we are patting him on his back for pointing out the hypocrisy.

18. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

The real question is why do you "trust" or "believe" certain scientific knowledge. That the world is not flat is pretty obvious, you can see and test this with your own eyes, but some things are not as obvious and needs special equipment and knowledge, do you "trust" that scientist are telling the truth? Or do you go out and do the experiments yourself?

In the end most of our system is based off of faith in others. It has nothing to to with adults acting like children.... It is just how humans act at any age.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Peer review. Scientists don't trust each other either.

I would not like to see this degrade into another theistic/atheistic back and forth but rather focus the comments of the rabbi, who to me, is employing the "Rush Limbaugh" technique of using absurdity to point out absurdity.

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

[​IMG]

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Presumably the beliefs of "any other theist" (of another religion or sect) are also incorrect in your opinion. Why are you supporting them? Or is this a campaign in support of the credulous in general?

22. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

There's a big difference between science in religion, science is consistent, the same ideas are discovered by multiple people independently and they will correlate. Religion seems to produce rather different and contradictory ways of thinking when developed independently.

Were the sum total of human memory and record erased science would still be science, the planck constant would still be the planck constant, organic life will continue to adapt and evolve all on it's own devoid of any design input and thankfully religions as we know them will never occur again, at least not the same way.

A good scientist doesn't "believe" in anything, merely considers what is likely. It's why evolution and other such theories are still considered theories even though they're fairly well established.

23. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

What? I think he's right, and obviously, I'm not alone with that opinion.

24. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The problem with your observation, however, is that there aren't Jewish politicians writing legislation to impose these strict and unforgiving laws on the Americans public - especially women.

25. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I was going to say pretty much exactly this, but I figured everybody had already realised it.