Race baiting 101

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 29, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

these two videos go together. The video from Peggy is obviously the one I identify with

Posting from the phone sucks

Peggy's video

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

I saw the one by Peggy a while back. She tears BLM a new one. Heartfelt and telling it like it is.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

World needs more moms like her

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think the message that BLM is trying to put forth is, "Not one inch more!"

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

They should start at home

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

She will be called an uncle tom and quickly dispelled from any talk regarding the black community. Hence why absolutely nobody will ever fix the issues within that community. If your black and talk like she does, you're an uncle tom. If your white and talk like she does you are a racist and promptly put in a corner with the obligatory white hood.

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Upon reading the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was potus.

Yes a lowercase p, nothing more.

As a middle aged white man, I _never_ expected to experience an actual President Of The United States like the present one. What a shocking excuse for an elected official.

He disgraces many of my dear close friends, that are highly intelligent, dignified and accomplished... And just happen to be black.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How does Obama disgrace many blacks?

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What? You haven't heard all the "Obama has set back race relations by 40 years!" spiels that have been spreading across the internet?

It's a part of the recent "No, YOU are the real racists" trend. Apparently pointing out that there's still a problem, that everything isn't quite hunky dory, is antagonistic.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I always love dopey symbolism like this.

You realize that by undercapitalizing potus, you are not only showing a misunderstanding of how acronyms work, (the capitalization is there to show that it's a shorthand for a title or phrase), but you're denigrating United States.

Peggy Hubbard's video is unfortunate. Unlike the first, the second is a cri du cœur and therefore it's logic is tenuous and problematic. For instance, she says "A little girl is dead. You say black lives matter? Her life mattered. Her dreams mattered."

Jamyla Bolden was black, so by simple logic, of course her life mattered. But, Hubbard goes further and juxtaposes the shooting of a black man, who ran during a police raid and was shot, with this other event.

In part, she's right. The BLM movement was started over the death of Michael Brown, who got into a physical fight with a police officer and was shot as he surged forward. It's an inauspicious beginning to a movement about police brutality because the evidence shows that Wilson was in the right.

To Hubbard, protestors compounded this mistake protesting the death of Mansur Ball-Bey. However, the death of Ball-Bey illustrates just how problematic the situation is. If the police force loses credibility, even a justified shooting looks bad.

Moreover, Hubbard makes her own mistake by arguing that the BLM movement isn't doing anything about black brutality. This is a common refrain against protest movements, essentially arguing that while (A) exists, you cannot protest about (A) until you also protest about (B), which could be completely orthogonal.

If Hubbard believes in this issue so strongly, rather than make a well-known YouTube video, she should go to a BLM meeting and help them reduce police violence and reinvigorate her community. Or she could join Grandmothers Against Gun Violence. Or, start her own organization called Those Trifling Mother****ers.

Black conservatism could be a powerful political shift, but unfortunately, it's been grounded by taking hardened, unpopular, unrealistic ideas from mainstream conservatism. And, by taking a stand against BLM, it's only protecting a status quo where people don't trust the police and black children continue to die.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

POTUS is the acronym U.S. president. "Potus" is Latin for a drink, hence "potable water" for drinkable water.

Don't forget your book reports are due Friday... :D

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

News flash! When one says "Save the whales", it doesn't also mean **** the dolphins. (unless you're a Jets fan) :D

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Canis studia domestici devoravit.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Nice post, but I will disagree for the same reasons Peggy does, everything starts at HOME. until you fix your HOME you have little chance of fixing the outside. don't want to go to jail? stop breaking the law, it is an amazing EASY concept, it has worked well for me and I look like a ***** criminal.

as far a denigrating the United States, nobody has done more to denigrate it than the GOVT itself.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

My buddy, an architect, would fundamentally disagree with this. While he designed and built homes, he lived in a trailer on the lot he purchased and on weekends began to build his dream home. Eventually, he finished the home and had to his name more than a dozen other projects finished, including a commercial building.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you are a pretty smart guy, civil with decently thought out post. I have no problems admitting that I am not at your level, would you be kind enough to forrest gump it for me? I can't decipher what you are getting at.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Presuming we are discussing government shutdowns and nonsense like opposing the Iran deal I agree.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

People can walk and chew gum at the same time. (Though patting your head and rubbing your belly counterclockwise is difficult.)

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

never ending war
    spying on it's citizens
    partisan bickering from BOTH sides.
    there are plenty of things where the U.S Govt leaves a lot to be desired.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it. I agree to what you are saying.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ha! Maybe for you, plebe!

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

please post video of you completing that task :D
    cards are calling, catch you peeps later.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

We end up with the Government, and the Government policies, that supposedly reflect the will of the people.

And "the people" might be very much opposed to the idea of Government surveillance. But they'll be the same ones screaming bloody murder if another event even vaguely on the scale of 9/11 occurs again. Out of all the crummy options, which one would you take?

The reality is, it is unrealistic for any people, including us, to expect perfect security. Which is by its very nature unachievable.

For all its faults, the US is without a doubt a country to have a great deal of pride in. Pride in its people; its cultures; its technological achievements; its science; its traditions of law and democracy. And partisan bickering, unpleasant as it might sometimes appear, is an essential part of that process.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You are sounding like a nationalist. you can support the country w/o needing to support the govt that is supposed to "Represent" it.

Obama ran & won on "hope & CHANGE", I don't think you and others voted him in wishing he continued & worse, expanded what Bush had started.
    Pride in people? well that might depend on what portion of the people we take into account.
    technology? science? not sure we lead there anymore.
    Law & democracy? how did BLM get started again?
    here, this is from a show, but it is pretty good.