Race based discipline in public schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Here is the article

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/viewpoints/articles/2009/09/19/20090919maceachern0920.html

and another, lots of wishy washy stuff in it

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/310029

So, if your culture tends towards violence they will treat you differently. I love the example of where two boys get into a fist fight and the school would let them stay in class, all that was missing is the hug. Nothing denote the causes of the fights one group was involved in (though from my cousins in AZ there is a serious black vs hispanic thing out there so grouping the two for similar punishment is bizarre)

I think what it will do is further perpetuate the belief that minorities students are violent and have to be treated differently because they don't have the ability (read : intelligence) to act right. In other words, more of the same liberal bigotry that has polluted many other schools systems, always claiming the minority cannot adhere to the same standards/rules because they are inferior.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The first link you provided contained an article that had a few quotes from a 52 page report which were interpreted as having a two tiered system. Without seeing the actual report, its hard to verify how the author arrived at that conclusion since the language doesn't explicity state that.

The second article seemed to refute the first entirely, in which officials claimed there would be no two tiered system at all, but simply a different way to handle certain offenses for all students. The hope is that minority students would react better to the new approach--not that white students would have a different disciplinary system.

Schools do this type of experimentation all the time. As long as its applied equally I don't see a problem with it. Obviously, I'd be opposed to a two tiered system, but I think the first article is one of many attempts lately to foster racial tension in the U.S.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, the wonderful world of looking at issues in black and white....:rolleyes:

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

"She said administrators have had too much discretion over the years to give some kids a pass while throwing the book at others. And since the majority of teachers are Anglo, they might not understand cultural differences."

What cultural differences are we talking about here? The two stories reported in the same article were about a brawl breaking out and a student exposing himself to a girl in a classroom. Is that part of some minorities culture? :confused: I think not.

"Kids who are suspended end up behind in school. They get in trouble with their parents and then rebel, sometimes ending up in the juvenile system. They start seeing themselves as troublemakers or not successful academically, she said."

Apparently not enough trouble, I would have got my ass whooped if I did any of the things outlined in the article, followed by never doing them again. Secondly if you are pulling this **** you are a troublemaker, and you are disturbing everyone's right to a public education.

You only need to look one place to solve these problems, the parents.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't know if you're from Arizona or not, or regularly read the Arizona Republic, but Doug MacEachern isn't a reliable source regarding anything involving the Tucson Unified School District. He has held a huge grudge against them ever since they started a Mexican American/Raza Studies program. After the district showed that the program showed excellent results (in both standardized tests, overall academic performance, and in keeping Latino kids in school), Doug went off the rails.

So, the tl;dr version: Doug MacEachern has a chip on his shoulder about the TUSD. Don't believe what he writes.

BTW, here's that program if anyone is interested. I would have loved something like this when I was in high school.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I could see it being one course, but it sounds like its an entire department. I don't even know how you would fit that into the base curriculum that needs to be completed for HS students. I took 2 years of Spanish but that was about as close as it got.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't know a whole lot about the program, but I believe the program includes basic curriculum (or passable substitutes). The students in the program still have science and math outside of the program I believe. Any writing or history is fulfilled by the program. It has worked great in reducing the dropout rate among latino/latina kids.

Here is the curriculum page: http://instech.tusd.k12.az.us/Raza/curriculum.asp

It includes a link to the state standards, which must be met by the program.