Race profiling for terrorism probes?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iShater, Jul 3, 2008.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

2. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I know this is a touchy subject, but I think there are enough links between some races/ethnicities and certain crimes/terrorism to warrant that some groups of people are watched more closely. Not all people within a certain group will be bad, but some groups probably warrant a closer watch than others.

Look at it this way. If a cop sees a bunch of white, suburban kids/young adults down in the hood, he can probably be 99.9% certain they are there to get drugs.

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I know this is a touchy subject, but I think there are enough links between some races/ethnicities and certain crimes/terrorism to warrant that some groups of people are watched more closely. Not all people within a certain group will be bad, but some groups probably warrant a closer watch than others.

Look at it this way. If a cop sees a bunch of white, suburban kids/young adults down in the hood, he can probably be 99.9% certain they are there to get drugs.

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Your first paragraph was good, glocke. Your second, not so much...you're going to get grilled for that.

But the first paragraph was very well put, and I agree completely. It's ignorant and dangerous to think that racial distinctions mean nothing when it comes to certain crimes. The trick is not impinging too much on the rights of the target ethnicity's innocents.

5. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I know I'll get grilled for the second paragraph, and maybe it could have been put better, but it is 100% true, Ive been there, done that. Was just using that as an example of one type of steretyping.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Basing a profile on a racial or religious grouping creates a huge net of false positives that agents will have to dig through and it also means, and this is important, that once a profile has been established, law enforcement will tend to look for people who fit this profile, while ignoring others who do not.

For example, John Walker Lindh wouldn't fit in the same profile as Mohammed Atta based on race or ethnicity. There are better ways to profile a subject.