Rachel Maddow looks at health care reform sabotage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just ending now: Rachel Maddow did a special edition of her show summarizing all the ways the right has attempted to subvert health care reform. Included are a number of segments on who is secretly behind the bogus "death panels" claim, who's directing the "grass roots" Tea Party, etc.

A number of these segments date back to last summer, when FreedomWorks and other organizations planted demonstrators at town hall meetings to threaten and intimidate our representatives. For the more informed among us, little if anything new here.

But for people who've bought into the propaganda, who actually believe in the ca-ca-poo-poo being put out by the insurance companies and their subsidiary, the Republican party, this is the one show, above all others, they should see. It's a compendium of all the dishonest, disgraceful stuff the right has been pulling for the past year. It was nasty enough seeing this crapola go down in real time, but watching it cram-packed into an hour is like being punched in the stomach repeatedly.

If you know a conservative who still has enough independence left to watch this show with an open mind, direct them towards it. I'm sure it'll be downloadable on iTunes around midnight (3/9/10), and clips will probably be up on the MSNBC website for the remainder of this week. And if they can watch this hour and not feel horribly used, then write them off; there's no hope for them.

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Interesting. I've never heard of this woman. While I think that it's useful that she/her program does this kind of research, I find it a horrible shame that it's done so in the form of a high school opinion piece. I'd like to see some cross questioning. I'd like to see her not talk to me as if I were a kindergartener. I'd also like to see a level of research that goes beyond a bit of internet sleuthing.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I think the research showed alot of depth. And that's her style. I guess some don't like it.

Though I highly recommend "The Interview" videos. Interviews with people that are NOT in agreement with her, like Dick Army etc.

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I totally agree with what that video says (The 12 min one from the link). Absolutely there is sneaky lobbying everywhere. Absolutely most of the right side is absolutely pathetic and corrupt. But to say that I should be for the bill (the way it currently is) based on this kind of insight, is false.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Maybe I'm just being cranky, but that seems to be the style of all news anchors in the US. And as for the research, I think there's much more that can be done to make this more of a news story and less of an opinion piece. For example, contextualization. What is the history of these 'grassroots' movements? Or, most obviously, what can they uncover about these compelling but circumstantial links to make the issue more convincing? I DO think that the issue of lobbyists is a very newsworthy issue, I'm just wishing it would hit a little harder.

Thanks for the tip on the interviews. I will check them out. I never watch the news aside from the clips they play on the Daily Show -- I actually prefer reading online and grabbing a physical paper -- so I'm not really sure what I should be looking for!

@ Techfreak85: I don't think anyone is arguing that you should be 'for' the bill because of this issue. The real point here is that if you are for a bill, your views aren't really being represented. There needs to be constructive opposition and dialogue for the formation of the bill, but if one side is just making noise, the other side ends up talking among themselves. Since that side talking among themselves happens to have a majority, alternatives aren't really being heard. We're just seeing amendments based on talking points. It's all very sad.

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

"The Interviews" on the side of that page is what you want. They are quite good.

Yeah I wish there was more reporting like this and that this was more hard hitting. Though to be honest, this show seems a little "shallow" because it was a review show on the last 10 months or so of their coverage on this issue in a hour's time.

8. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Watching her must be what it's like for someone on the left watching Glenn Beck. Neither can be fairly considered to be balanced in their reporting.

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Ok...

What was so bad with the *content* of he reporting? Was there outright lies like Beck has?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You may not like the youthful style, but the CONTENT is great and the research is well done. Maddow is IMO one of the best around with her adherence to the facts.

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

And the handful of times they've reported something as fact and were wrong or misinformed, they CORRECTED it the next day.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly, they really seem to strive for integrity on her show. I love her interview style, she may be a little to playful during her monologues, but the interviews are where she shines as a reporter. The hard hitting questions and refusal to accept question dodging is great.

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah.

Sort of OT but it's a damn shame she "plays for the other team".
    I find her to be an incredibly attractive woman. :D

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yes, when I am more awake. TY for the link.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm glad you guys found this worthwhile; I was afraid I was going to get slammed for promoting what is essentially a rehash of earlier stories.

Props to my wife for asking me last night, "Hey hon, you wanna watch Rachel Maddow?" :cool:

16. Shivetya macrumors 65816

oooohh... strawmen and hyperbole for the win. Got to love the OP.

Look, I will make it simple.

Healthcare reform has not occurred because of D E M O C R A T S.

Got it?

They had a filibuster proof majority for over a year and still could not pass it.

Plus what we have is not reform, its a payout to political donors. Go read the bill, I know you haven't, and you will find pay out after pay out to major contributors. We don't even see real benefit from it for years, in many cases people won't get any coverage for FOUR years.

So, quit with the stupid line of how eveeel Republicans are stopping Health care reform . The only people stopping it are those who are in the majority. They had their chance but since they cannot get their house in order they cast blame on anyone they can find because they don't like the truth.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No they didn't.

They didn't even have "60 seats including Liebermann who was against a public option" for over a year... Obama entered the presidency with 58 senators.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's because of the blue-dog Democrats and the Republicans though.

19. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Nope, it was most definately the GOP. Unless of course you approve of voting on party lines only.

20. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

All the smear code words covered and allegations in line against citizens legitimately against Democrat health care reform... check... How about how the left has "subverted" the "Constitution"? Can we expect Rachel to cover that? Yeah.... we Conservatives object to the Democrat health care reform bill... we don't need a rookie MSNBC wanna-be journalist with six viewers on a good ratings night to lie about our intent...

They weren't planted demonstrators from Freedom Works "last summer" - they were actual citizen demonstrators against health care spending bill; since I and many others were there and you clearly weren't (nor was Maddow evidently), perhaps it would help if you checked your facts before advancing lies from the left. And it is hypocrisy in the extreme for a Democrat Party that routinely sends white lab coat plants to the White House as cosmetic backdrops to even dare speak about "plants" in any context!

Bombast much?

More bombast from the left without a single fact advanced...

The relevant item here is Maddow is somehow mad at Tea Party movement due to their objection to health care reform and you're supporting her bias on the issue. And what is particularly newsworthy about that?

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Barf.

Maddow spent most of her time complaining about lobbying firms and how the goal of freedomworks is "no reform at all." I'm sorry but if these groups like the "tea-baggers" to which Maddow and the rest of folks at MSNBC spend so much of their time berating and marginalizing, can derail the behemoth that is health care reform, there wasn't a clear end point in the first place. I would agree that the healthcare system as it is now is not sustainable, but I've not been convinced that I won't pay more for healthcare reform via premiums or taxes through the dems plan. Maddow was wrong when she said republican have done nothing towards solving the problem. Here is a GOP idea.

22. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Didn't ALL the dems vote FOR the Senate bill? Did you approve of that?

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

They don't seem comparable. She has a liberal perspective, but does she have the hatred and perform the theatrics like Beck?

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

To be fair, she does occasionally engage in what might be described as theatrics, but she is mostly talk, with no chalk. And there is some amount of animosity on her part, primarily toward organizations that have an agenda that she disagrees with, but to characterise it as "hatred" does not really seem reasonable to me.

She is not a "performer" like that other guy. Her show is not as "accessible" as others, it often takes a fair bit of attention to absorb the content. The primary difference, when comparing the two, is that the one tends to appeal to base emotion while the other tries more to appeal to intellect.