Racism at VA university

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wotan31, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

The behavior of these students is just not acceptable in this day and age. Student complaints and staging a walk-out because of the color of someone's skin sounds like a scene from the 1950's, not 2009. :eek:

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-miss-hampton,0,2368322.story

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can't disagree, but I suppose it's their right. Their behavior leaves something to be desired, I think.

I wonder how many of these students are upset that there are even some white students enrolled at the school - I think that might be a more telling statistic.

To protest because she's a white student at a Traditionally Black University might or might not sound like a problem; but think about it in different terms. They're protesting because she's "different," she doesn't represent the "typical" student at Hampton. The same could be said if the winner were in a wheelchair, or blind, or deaf, or whatever might make her "different." To protest under such circumstances would be thought by many to be reprehensible.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As long as she wasn't disqualified or had her award taken away because of her race I don't really care. Did anyone actually believe that whites were the only racist group? They must have not hung around many minorities.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. This should not be happening at all.

5. No1451 macrumors 6502

Within their rights but I wouldn't be caught dead behaving in such a way.

Edit:

You know it's funny, it really says something about our perceptions that I saw the thread title and was thinking "what damn thing are some white *******s doing to give our race a bad name this time?"

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I would say the problem on the other side of the fence is actually worse percentage wise

7. TSE macrumors 68030

Oh, boohoo, they walked away when I was being crowned. What is Obama coming to the school to give a speech about racism gonna do? It's just gonna make things worse.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

He could invite them all to the White House for a beer, or beer pong as they're college students.

9. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

For more fun, consider the reaction to your response if you make the black kid the one getting snubbed :p

10. TSE macrumors 68030

Yeah lol if it was black kid doing it it would be even more in the news.

I think racism wouldn't be that bad if we would ignored the times it doesn't matter at all like these and tried harder to prevent racism when racism matters and not just whine about it.

11. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. If this was a black student and a mostly white university, it would be on the news for weeks. Not because it's any different from this, but because Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be on the first flight in to hold press conferences, and ACLU lawyers would chomping at the bit to sue the university, the student association, the pageant organizers, and everyone else they could for discrimination.

IMO a major factor in why racism in the country is still present today, is that these people and organizations that claim to fight against it, are in fact perpetuating it, by constantly forcing the issue into the spotlight, keeping it in the front of peoples minds, and making mountains out of molehills. Of course it also helps them to justify their own existence. What would Al and Jesse do if racism was truly eliminated and defeated? They'd be obsolete. No longer relevant. And they damn sure aren't going to allow that to happen, hence their continued and ever vigilant crusade "against" it.