Racism Destroying McCain Campaign?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Oct 20, 2008.

?

Is racism destroying the chances of McCain winning the presidential election?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Do you think all the racist slurs the McCain supporters are shouting at rallies and publicly displaying are ruining the chances McCain may have of winning the presidential election and keeping those undecided from choosing him as the candidate they support?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think Mccains own actions and lies are the things truly destroying his chances. Im not counting him out tho as there are MANY supporters in this country.

3. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Well here is where the ping-pong brain I have spits out a reply:

I say yes and no, here are some reasons. Yes its horrible what these people are saying, but can you say that every John McCain supporter feels that way? No, you can't. But being an Obama supporter I think it's an abomination.

Being a news reader I see both sides, so this is where the 'No" comes in. I read today that a car in Tampa sporting a McCain/Palin sticker walked out to his car to discover the letters "KKK" scratched into the side of his Lexus.

I think the lesson here is you have to form your opinions on the candidates by how your feel about their policies and such, when you bring racism into it you mind gets boggled. You can't let the media reel you into what to believe. Shoot being in Virginia, a MAJOR swing state, I see political ads every other commercial. But those commercials for either candidate don't sway my choice. If they do anything they make me want to move :p...

Wow my brain hurts now :confused: :D

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I'm amongst those who are saddened that McCain is being tarred with the same brush as a small, however vocal, minority of his supporters. As I've said many times, Obama supporters NEED to withstrain themselves from calling "racist" whenever someone is strongly critical of Obama. Sometimes its simple-minded xenophobia and nationalism (although, clearly the line becomes blurry). Ironically, if Obama were pushing free-market, global competition, and enhanced trade with foreign fuel suppliers like Brazil and McCain were being accused (as Obama is) of protectionism... he simply wouldn't win this election and be branded even more strongly "traitor" and Manchurian candidate.

I think racism is destroying McCain's campaign. I actually don't fault him for it. It is coming more alive purely because he is clearly losing AND Obama is seen as "black" and "foreign-looking"... and nothing else. Those two qualities more than put these feelings over the top and boiling into the public space. Culturally ignorant people like Governor Palin certainly do not help however. She can barely tell when a screaming crowd are protestors or supporters, nevermind what they're advocating. McCain, at least, has the experience to spot these things. But, there's little he can do about it when the crowds are actively pleading with him to use political "weapons of mass destruction" that he only too well would know the consequences of.
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/164504

Ayers is the best "bone" they've got to throw to those GOP operatives hungering for red meat. People are clearly noting that it is irrelevant, but right now, its the best "non-Wright", non-racially charged standin they've got.

~ CB

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I watched a video of McCain/Palin supporters chasing off an anti-Islamic racist in a rally parking lot. I was heartened.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If there were a more comprehensive choice I'd vote.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

well it's not ONLY racism. It's also the fact that Palin ha proven herself to be completely incompetent and McCain is stuck with her.

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

True, but again... its the Ayers "Wright" standin. It's all they've got (well, that and any number of hypothetical October surprises). Mark Salter was quoted saying that McCain would rather lose honorably than dishonorably. It's quite possibly all he's got left right now. Between balancing the ire of his supporters and the stain of playing his cards like a drunken sailor... its really up to McCain how he wants to go out. I have no doubt that moderate Republicans are tearing their hair out about the "hate-commentary" outside rallies being peddled in McCain's name.

~ CB

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

The choices in your poll are very limiting...
    I for one think many things are ruining his chances. Racism is one but certainly not top contender.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So why was John McCain saying that Obama would rather lose a war than a campaign? And why say that we need to know more about Bill Ayres and Obama? Either you have something or you don't.

It's all the crassest kind of nonsense and if there's one thing I'm sick of hearing about, it's John McCain's alleged honour. Sensing a grasp for the brass ring, he sold himself to the worst elements of his party a long time ago.

Speaking of Mark Salter, the wheels came off the campaign today in this whiny outburst. :D

12. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Then give me more options and i'll have a mod add them.

13. jplan2008 macrumors regular

First of all, it looks like they may use Reverend Wright. (and as usual, it's not their fault, it's someone else's -- in this case, Congressman Lewis') McCain has already behaved incredibly dishonorably. I think he'd rather win no matter how he can. The reason they weren't using Wright was not to be seen as racists. Since they're out of the closet on using race-baiting, then they have nothing to lose.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/10/20/mccain_campaign_reconsiders_use_of_wright.html

Said Davis: "Look, John McCain has told us a long time ago before this campaign ever got started, back in May, I think, that from his perspective, he was not going to have his campaign actively involved in using Jeremiah Wright as a wedge in this campaign. Now since then, I must say, when Congressman Lewis calls John McCain and Sarah Palin and his entire group of supporters, fifty million people strong around this country, that we're all racists and we should be compared to George Wallace and the kind of horrible segregation and evil and horrible politics that was played at that time, you know, that you've got to rethink all these things. And so I think we're in the process of looking at how we're going to close this campaign. We've got 19 days, and we're taking serious all these issues."

14. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

False accusations of racism are being exploited by the media to ruin his campaign?

That's my opinion.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's a good thing the McCain campaign has the media around, otherwise they might be responsible for a few things.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well beric, i think im going to somewhat agree with you for once. Is racism a factor? deffinatly. Is it as big a deal as some dems on TV want you to believe? hell no.

I get just as annoyed watching guests on MSNBC cite racism as the main reason certain people wont vote for obama as i do when watching Fox News nitpick through polls to find a "problem" for obama (you no, when they go "obamas ____ problem" then cite his low support from super concentrated groups as evidence. Im talking about when there graphics show mccain leading amongst white married female NRA members - in west virginia- with more than 5 kids, for example. )

Basic point to rant, the media (ALL of it) latches onto some pretty stupid arguments sometimes.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

While I agree about the media bias (and lack of reporting on the incident I mentioned), there are no false accusations of racism. There have been racists supporters at the McCain rallies. Limbaugh's comments are racist. These are the things the OP has presented, and they are undeniable. The question is: are these racists throwing their chips into the McCain hat having a negative impact on the McCain campaign?

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I really hate saying this, but I actually think the racist smears are helping McCain. It is sad to see that so much of the county still acts like the civil rights movement never happened.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Of course, the 24/365 nature of our current television news organizations means that even in the most newsworthy days there's going to some silly stories and even sillier prognostications.

However, contrary to Beric, I don't believe there's an intent to "ruin" McCain's campaign by the media, and at best this is just convenient scapegoating for the Republicans who can then proclaim how the media is against them, as if the media was some singular mind rather than a rabble with microphones.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I hope I didnt come off as agreeing that the media is out to destroy Mccain, there only after one things, ratings. Apparantly we love loony headlines.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No, we're each threading a needle.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no, I think most of the people who are offended by those racist statements have long since decided not to vote for McCain. And those that are still considering voting for him will be able to separate McCain from what they'll say is an unfortunate fringe element in the Republican party.

well, it does give McCain the chance to use the words "terrorist" and "Obama" in the same sentence, over and over and over and over and over.....all without ever actually having to make the claim that Obama's a terrorist.

23. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I like the fact that the McCain supporters ran off the racists. Best quote: "Are you deliberately trying to lose us this election, or is it just coincidental?" And the woman with the sign implying Obama was a Muslim communist... saying that she's afraid to talk to the press, because the press "twists" words. Too rich. I like the fact that the McCain campaign chair came out, says he is Muslim and an confronted the group with the signs. Good show. Damage control.

~ CB

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

+1.

The media isn't after McCain or the GOP per se, the media is after the loser. They can smell blood from 5000 miles away and they will attack the loser with merciless ferocity and dance on his grave.