Racist Hunger Games Fans Very Disappointed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queen of Spades, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Queen of Spades, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm getting really sick of the blatant racism happening in this country right now. Not only are these people a-holes, they also lack reading comprehension. Both Rue and Thresh are described as having dark brown skin. I always pictured them black or at least non-white. In fact, when they were describing District 11 as crop pickers that were whipped, I was a little uncomfortable with the similarities to slavery. How anyone missed that they aren't white is beyond me.

Also, the girl who played Rue was completely adorable and wonderful.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

People are sick. That's just sad that anyone would even think to say such a thing.

3. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Lol @ the first tweet. The complexity of a characters' skin ruined the movie? Some people..:rolleyes:

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In the book Cinna wasn't black, but Rue and Thresh certainly were.

I think these are just some random idiots tweeting how stupid they are, not a symptom of blatant racism in america.

5. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's more than a few tweets, similar sentiment has been expressed elsewhere - and anyway, I'm of the opinion that these types of opinions are like cockroaches. You might see a few, but they represent many, many more you don't.

The last couple of weeks between this and the Trayvon Martin case (also those two high school idiots that made the racist youtube video) just makes me question where we are with racism in this country. I don't think we're quite as advanced and many of us hope, and I wouldn't want any of my potential children dealing with this BS. What's really sad is that a lot of this is coming from younger people. It's incredible how much I'm constantly reminded that my racial makeup, sexuality, and gender make me different in this country. And not in the good/kumbaya way.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't imagine cinna as black but the actor did a great job. Rue and Thresh were similar to what I imagined and were also both great actors.

7. 184550 Guest

While I think that their phrasing is poor, I don't see any racism. :confused:

If the first thing you think of is racism when you read that, then you've got issues of your own.

I'm curious, have any of you even read 'The Hunger Games'? Or is this simply a cause of convenience for you?

I haven't , nor will I, read 'The Hunger Games' but I can certainly relate on the level of being disappointed when a book that I enjoyed is changed, for whatever reason, during the film adaptation process.

EDIT:

The site 'Jezebel is gossip, culture, fashion, and sex for the contemporary woman'.

Let me know when any sort site resembling mainstream news picks this up... :rolleyes:

8. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Wow, really? I don't even know where to start. You don't see how being a character being black "ruined" the movie for someone as being racist? How someone complaining all the "good" characters are black, like that's a bad thing? I'm not sure if you're being willfully ignorant, you're actually ignorant, or you're just trolling.

I actually read all three books some time ago. I'm not sure what you mean by "cause of convenience"? Can you explain what exactly that means to you?

That's the whole point, the characters of Rue and Thresh are explicitly described as being dark skinned. So it's not something that got changed from the books, it's either poor reading comprehension, or the need to see the world as consistently white against evidence to the contrary. Cinna's race was never mentioned, which means he could have been anything - again, someone being disappointed that they chose a black actor is pretty racist in my opinion.

So there's nothing to "relate" to with these opinions, they're blatantly racist. Then again, you haven't actually read the books, so I can understand why you're not exactly clear on what you're talking about.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

These children don't see that you read characteristics into characters that fit the dialogue, for you, in the absence of actual specifics.

If the movie interpretation does jibe with theirs, well they can just suck it.

10. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Whie I don't think it's racism like the KKK lynching a poor black man from at tree is racism, there still are some nasty undertones in those tweets.

Well. When I read the Harry Potter books, there were a few characters who were cast black in the movies. I can't say it made the slightest bit of difference, but hey..

11. malman89 macrumors 68000

It may have been a comment on that story or on Facebook, but someone posted "When I read Cinna wore gold eyeliner, I knew he had to be brown or black skin. A white Cinna would look like a @#%" - kind of agree. It's never said what color he is.

I thought Lenny Kravitz was a solid casting. In some ways, I could've imagined a bit more flamboyant brown/black skinned character, but he's a cool/calm presence and Kravitz pulls that off just fine.

12. 184550 Guest

I agree.

I think the OP is reading too much into the Tweets and is ascribing too much intelligence to a bunch of what appear to tweens/ teenage girls who are pissy about how their favorite series was adapted for the screen.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Well, I think the OP is accurately reading the message underlying the tweets.

I just wouldn't put much stock in tweets ... coming from teens.

That's just an overdose of stupidity.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's certainly not just the OP. And the tweets shown are just a fraction of what has been tweeted since the movie came out.

And why should we disregard the sentiment behind the tweets just because they are from tweens/teenage girls? What happens when they become adults? Have children? Vote?

As Queen of Spades stated earlier - it's representative of a larger issue. Racism is alive and well in this country. And it's not just coming from older generations.

And Jezebel hasn't been the only source to report this:

Huff Post

Chicago Tribune

MSNBC.com

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thats true, although from now on I'll just picture Cinna as Lenny Kravitz anyway.

Before twitter and Facebook, people used to have these silly little thoughts and they'd just keep to themselves, but now they can broadcast them everywhere and it ends up here.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

What people are objecting to in these tweets are the whiffs of racism. No on is saying that people have to like casting but when people say that a characters race affected the movie to them it's not necessarily being racist but ideally you're likely to find racist views that support the comment if you dig deeper.

Another interesting thing again is the auto-categorization that is going on here with some of the tweets. The actress that played Rue has a Danish father and Lenny Kravitz has a Jewish father.

Yet both suddenly become Black as if 50% of their DNA just miraculously disappeared.

I agree though in the end. Harmless and ignorant commentary overall but with these young'un there's time to wise up and see the world beyond what's in their current fishbowl.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Amended that for you.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm gonna go with "Not racism". Not because of what the tweets say - I'm actually ignoring them - and simply focus on the message: I was expecting one of the main characters to look this way, and they were portrayed differently. To me, it's more about (lack of) reading comprehension than racism.

Think about it, you'd be pissed off too if you were pronouncing Hermioney incorrectly in your head since Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone (book) was released, to the first movie debut. True story, I know I was.

Is it even possible to talk about skin color in America without someone crying "racism"?

/end rant

19. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Of course. But once you attribute something to that skin color then the chimes of racism start to ring a bit true.

20. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Thank you, Moyank, for the additional sources. And yes, 1000% yes, disregarding these statements because they appear to have come from younger people is really shortsighted and frankly, ignores the power young people have and will eventually assume.

Well, firstly, I don't think you can ignore what the tweets actually say and then form any kind of argument in their defense. It's one thing if you're disappointed a certain character didn't look as you expected, it's another to be mad all the "good" characters are black. Or say that Rue being black made her death less sad for you. How on earth can those statements be defended as mere disappointment in a particular casting choice? You're honestly comparing the pronunciation of Hermione's name to someone being less sad Rue died because she's black? I don't even know what to say to that.

They may not be KKK riots, but racism occurs in many, many different forms. I am honestly startled so many people don't see those statements as racist.

21. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Starship Troopers. That's all I've to say about that.

Probably not. Big money and political power to gain in racism, especially when it comes in a neat package that fits easily into the prescribed narrative. And while we lemmings focus on the neatly packaged mental junk food, the real problems role on.

EDIT: Seriously, someone thought a character named "Cinna" wouldn't have brown skin? How creative do they think Hollywood is? (FYI, Loooove Lenny Kravitz!. I wanna Fly away.....)

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Yeah it's institutionalized racism, the kind where people don't realize where their biases are coming from.

I also gotta say Hunger Games is such a blatant rip of Battle Royale I have almost no desire to watch it.

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I thought it was somewhat interesting that some of the posters were complaining about the race of the character when they themselves were what appears to be Asian and Latino.

Humans like some sort of self representation. If someone does amazing things and they look like me it somehow bolsters my belief that I too can accomplish the same feats.

Kind of wish we had more of an open and introspective society so that we could simply discuss things without retribution.

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I honestly don't quite get why the hunger games is so popular. I found the books almost accidentally read them and thought they were pretty terrible. Then a few months later I found out they'd become a sensation...

What did people find good about them?

25. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I was thinking the same thing.