Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Is this graphics card supposed to be not compatible with my G4? I thought it would work.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
If it is a PC card it will not work. You have to flash a PC card with a Mac ROM in order for it to work and then you have to tape the pins to work on a Powermac G4.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
If it is a PC card it will not work. You have to flash a PC card with a Mac ROM in order for it to work and then you have to tape the pins to work on a Powermac G4.

Sounds like a lot of work I'm not willing to do.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Then why did you get a PowerPC Mac? They are a lot of work now days. Even something as simple as getting the latest version of your favorite program running on them is a lot of work.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Sounds like a lot of work I'm not willing to do.

Powerpc macs nowadays is not for the faint of heart. Most of the people you will meet here are enthusiast and were not afraid to the things that you deem involves a lot of work.

You are better off getting the latest and the greates iMac. Then you would not have to do anything.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Oh no! Don't get me wrong! I bought it just so I could upgrade everything and get it back up and running! I've already upgraded the ram and put a hard drive in it! I just thought the Sawtooth model G4 didn't need to have the taping done to the graphics card. I bought this machine for the fun of bringing it back to life! I love the old Mac.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Holy crap! There's no way I'm doing all that. I'll be fine with the graphics card I have for now. The graphics card that I wanted to work on the G4 is supposed to work on it though. I just need to do all that taping and desoldering.

I don't do the tape method. I use nail polish to cover the pins. You do have to tape to keep the polish from getting on the other pins.

You should try the tape method. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and you peel the tape off. best case, you get it to work and have a rockin' GFX.

----------

I just thought the Sawtooth model G4 didn't need to have the taping done to the graphics card.

If yours has the ADC socket then you need to tape. Pre-ADC sawtooth does not need taping.

----------

Most of the people you will meet here are enthusiast and were not afraid to the things that you deem involves a lot of work.

I do all kinds of lame stuff enthusiastically!

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I don't do the tape method. I use nail polish to cover the pins. You do have to tape to keep the polish from getting on the other pins.

You should try the tape method. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and you peel the tape off. best case, you get it to work and have a rockin' GFX.

----------

If yours has the ADC socket then you need to tape. Pre-ADC sawtooth does not need taping.
Where is the ADC socket located? I tried googling this and I couldn't find any results.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
If you don't have that black thing then you have a pre-ADP sawtooth. It shod work without taping.

Well the only thing that looks like that little black thing is the place where I insert the graphics card. I'm pretty sure I have the Sawtooth, because the audio ports are vertical on the back of my G4. Anyway it didn't work without taping it so I'm probably going to need to tape it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.