Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
Is there any way to use a PC version of a graphics card in a Mac? I want an 8500, the Mac version is 250-300 U.S. and you can get the windows version at Compusa for 99- a $30 dollar mail in rebate. They have all the same specs. What is the difference between them? Or is it just some way to get mac users to pay hundreds more?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i really think it would work, as long as you dont have a apple monitor. go for it.

iJon

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
what would an apple monitor have to do with it? Wouldnt it be the computer that matters? because you can plug in almost any VGA monitor and it will work.

??????????????????????????????????????????

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by me hate windows
what would an apple monitor have to do with it? Wouldnt it be the computer that matters? because you can plug in almost any VGA monitor and it will work.

??????????????????????????????????????????

well a pc card isnt going to have adc is it. so you will have to buy a ton of adapters to go with it. thats all i was saying. i didnt know you would have to flash it to work with mac though. On my pc i thought i fried my gf4. so i took a radeon 7500 out of our display mac and put it in my and it booted just fine. many its only one way though. i dont feel like switching cards in my computers, dont feel like blowing anythink up.

iJon

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
i don need a zillion adapters. I only need VGA and S-video. Does anyone know anything more about this?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Go to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for more info about flashing a video card bios. There are a couple of threads on this site about the process too. Do some searching. Be aware though, even if you do it right, it still may not work.

Edit: Especially the TV-Out. It probably won't work. Best to just do some digging for a good price, or keep the AGP card you have if it's a good one and buy a PCI 7000 for the TV-Out.

Plus, there's always eBay.

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
First off, mac pricing for video cards isn't because they are just mean. They begin by developing the card for the PC, then "port" the card to mac. I believe it is this extra development step that costs mac users money.

Next, I've seen the Radeon 8500 around for as low as $170:

http://dealmac.com/articles/39707.html

As for flashing a card, I've heard mixed endings to this. I'd just pay the extra $70 and get a card that you know will work.

Draft

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by iJon

well a pc card isnt going to have adc is it. so you will have to buy a ton of adapters to go with it. thats all i was saying. i didnt know you would have to flash it to work with mac though. On my pc i thought i fried my gf4. so i took a radeon 7500 out of our display mac and put it in my and it booted just fine. many its only one way though. i dont feel like switching cards in my computers, dont feel like blowing anythink up.

iJon

The only thing you really get from ADC is ColorSync compatibility since the monitor and the system communicate by USB to keep the colour happy. They used to have a separate USB cable for that when they used a VGA connector for the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.