Radiation exposure from the Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheAnimal, Aug 20, 2015.

1. TheAnimal macrumors member

"In May 2011, the World Health Organisation's International Agency for Research on Cancer announced it was classifying electromagnetic fields from mobile phones and other sources as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" and advised the public to adopt safety measures to reduce exposure, like use of hands-free devices or texting." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil...#Precautionary_measures_and_health_advisories

Fine, simple enough to do. What about the Apple Watch? Is anyone else concerned about leaving a device strapped to your wrist that could be emitting harmful radiation? Is it not a concern with wi-fi and/or Bluetooth which is relatively low power? What happens when the Watch inevitably gets a cell antenna?

2. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I honestly couldn't be less concerned. People have had mobile phones strapped to their bodies long enough now for everyone other than the most fancily tail foil hatted to know that there's no real world risk.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Our government is also saying that the earth is hotter than ever and we are all doomed!

Why should we believe the World Health Org.

4. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Well they're not fibbing and they're not stupid. They're right to talk about a 'possible' risk. Can anyone prove that electromagnetic fields definitely don't pose a risk? No of course not.

Having said all that, I still couldn't be less concerned.

5. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Because the world is hotter than ever. Seriously, are we going to debate global warming here?

6. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

But that's just the thing. We've never had mobile devices literally STRAPPED to our bodies.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

image.jpeg image.png

8. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha. I'm not some crazy tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist. I love my gadgets just as much as everyone on this forum probably does. I had an Apple Watch (but returned it for unrelated reasons). Was just a thought.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So we've never had Bluetooth headsets?

Sounds like you're trying to find excuses to rationalize your decision to return it and not buy another one.

10. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I've had one in my pocket for most of my waking life for almost 20 years. So have millions of people. I'm not sure that thin bits of cloth provide much protection from electromagnetic fields.

11. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Bluetooth isn't the same as a cell phone antenna.

No, I don't need to rationalize why I returned it, thanks.

12. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Do you leave it on your pocket all day? Or do you take it for periods at a time?

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've had a phone in my left pocket right next to my nuts for as long as a 'compact' phone has existed (picture enclosed).

I'm happy to report said radiation didn't stop me having children noting that said nuts haven't fallen off either ;)

image.jpeg

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

No different that discussing what the World Heath people are cooking up about radiation! No facts for either?

15. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I'm actually a pretty firm believer that cell phones can have SOME effect on the human physiology. Whether it causes cancer I do NOT know.

What I do know is that if I hold my phone up to my ear while I am carrying a conversation for over 5 min, I can feel my ear start to get hot. It could be psychological, but it is pretty consistent. Thus, I've switched to almost always using either speakerphone, or an earpiece.

Never felt that problem with bluetooth headsets, and IIRC, bluetooth tech is different. So the Apple Watch should be fine.

16. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

I don't understand why you people can't admit global warming is a thing? Is it because it's a theory that liberals generally agree with and you just want to be contrary?
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/us/noaa-global-climate-analysis/index.html

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Lmfao. That is because your phone actually warms up when a call takes place.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The Watch is a Bluetooth/wifi device and doesn't pack a cell phone antenna.

Just your OP sounds like you're trying to second guess the Watch so you may be subconsciously rationalizing without realizing it.

19. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Pretty much all day on most days. I'm always had jobs where I'm on the move so it's never sitting on a desk for hours every day. I suppose there are a couple of hours a day when I'm wearing my watch without a phone in my pocket.

20. chabig macrumors 68040

Possibly carcinogenic? Wow, we should expect better from a scientific organization--or maybe the WHO is a political organization masquerading as a scientific organization. Back to the watch...I suppose it could emit harmful radiation if it were to generate some, but it doesn't, so I am not concerned in the slightest.

21. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Heating of body tissue: Microwave PCS phones, some mobile/cell phones, microwave ovens, cordless phones, millimeter waves, airport millimeter scanners, motion detectors, long-distance telecommunications, radar, Wi-Fi 1 mm – 33 cm 1–300 GHz (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ionizing_radiation)

LMFAO.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Main reason is because of all the lies the EPA and our government has told us in the past. Hard to trust any of them anymore. We ask the EPA for the facts and they refuse to let us have them.

23. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

The belief that the WHO is a political organization is just as stupid as denying global warming. Just different sides of the extremist rainbow.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

25. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Dude, it's not OUR government. It's the entire world. It's scientists who have no stake in the matter.