Radio DJ's sex advice to father of gay daughter sparks controversy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 30, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow. How in the hell is this in anyway acceptable?

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/...-to-father-of-gay-daughter-sparks-controversy

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Who's saying its acceptable? I feel a firing coming on...

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

One would hope.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Did someone incite to anything wrong? Or some people are overreacting to a comment made by... a radio DJ? :eek:

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

promoting a rape would be illegal right? But the guy is a shock jock and probably shouldn't be taken seriously.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ya know, there's one in every bunch. Amazing.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

One what?

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I've had enough TO's lately, Use your imagination.

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Promoting a rape?
    What I see is a radio DJ trying to impress his audience showing strong opinions. I didn't listen to the show so I don't know the tone he used, but I really doubt he meant to incite violence or whatelse.

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I understand what you're saying. I am sure he probably didn't mean it. He's probably just saying outrageous things for the ratings. But suggesting a "corrective rape" might not be the best thing to say on the radio. If the father or someone followed through on this, I could see a liability lawsuit being filed against the DJ.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Telling a guy to get one of his friends to have sex with his daughter to make her straight is a "strong opinion"? Are you kidding me?

12. Kate. macrumors regular

Advising a man to get one of his friends to have sex with his daughter against her will sounds like promoting rape to me too.

Regardless of the DJ's intentions, it was a stupid thing to say that carries strongly misogynistic and homophobic undertones. The less people like that who have a microphone in their faces the better.

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Look at the quotes: he didn't say "get em rape her" or anything like that.
    What if he just literally meant: why don't you take some guy you know and trust (one of your friends), and just encourage her to get in touch with him.

14. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

No...I'm reasonably certain "You should get one of your friends to screw your daughter straight." is the equivalent of "get 'em to rape her."

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

"You should get one of your friends to screw your daughter straight."

Ok, lets clear this up. If she is gay, the only way to "screw her straight" would be to rape her. A gay woman isn't going to want to be "screwed straight".

16. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The subject was the daughter being a lesbian. The radio DJ's suggested an impulsive and violent in its essence ""fix"". :rolleyes:

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You can't possibly be serious. What twisted father would ever do such a thing? And you know damn well that's not even close to what he said.

Yeah, and it was a disgusting thing to say.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even if it was consensual and the girl in question is over the age of consent it's still highly inappropriate.

Who the hell would allow their teenage daughter to date someone 20-30 years older than them?

If she isn't over the age of consent it's child abuse, which is generally considered beyond the pale. I am appalled that there is any defence of this at all.

Yeah definitely.

19. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That's the literal interpretation. Are you saying you don't ever exaggerate some statements? Plus, we're talking about a show man.

What if the host thought she could change her mind? As for the rest, read above.

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I hate agreeing with Lee, and I get a big grin my my face every time I see "In Time-out" under his name, but I can't help but agree with him on this one at this time. I don't see anything yet unless more to this story comes out and the comments are out of context this DJ needs to be at least fined and make an apology. If not fired.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So you think child abuse is acceptable?

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I didn't say I don't agree with you with the fact he's a shock jock or might be. Much like Howard Stern or Tom Leykis, but he may have crossed the line here. I don't know, maybe his shows are like this every day and he doesn't say anything serious.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This was far from an exaggeration.

What? Having your father get one of his friends to screw you will be helpful? What kind of twisted reality do you live in?

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

In prison bubba almost screwed me gay. :D

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is amazing how much voting down there is of perfectly reasonable comments. Its really rather sad how acceptable child abuse is considered by a substantial number of people here.

It would be beyond the pale if this comment was made about a straight teenage daughter as well.