Radio Shack CAN move your upgrade date up.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjc83, Oct 1, 2012.

1. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

After calling VZW three times and getting shot down twice, finally they said I can get any phone but the iPhone5 or SGS3. Went to Radio Shack today, and the gentleman called for me and bumped my upgrade up to today, I was due on 10/11 a few days not a big deal but it helps, no the only problem is they dont have any iPhones lol.

Sam

2. ncstatered21 macrumors regular

My technical upgrade date is 2/10/2013 but VZW lets you upgrade 4 months early so VZW says I can upgrade 10/10/2012. I then went to a VZW retailer and they said I could do it 7 days earlier than that at 10/3/2012. Is that how yours was? I know my Radioshack has iPhone 5's and would love to snag it right now.

3. Jay724 macrumors member

Radio Shack sucks, they force you to buy Apple Care and accessories.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Maybe yours does, certainly not all. If your in a high demand area they can get away with that kind of stuff. Sprint stores are also guilty of making you buy crappy acceries to get a phone. In other areas it's not the same. I would write their corporate HQ and let them know the crap their local stores are up to.

5. sjc83 thread starter macrumors 6502

sjc83

did they do that to you? or are you just reading what other people said?

----------

yes go to the shack and get you phone now.

6. Jay724 macrumors member

I've been to 3 different Radio Shacks in So Cal and they all tried to force me to buy apple care and accessories. One guy even tried to bargain with me and told me to just buy one apple care and one accessory. I just walked out and said no thanks.

7. rangrbob macrumors member

That is illegal. They can not do that. Don't let them. If they tell you that call corporate. If you already purchased those things and do not want them take the accessories back and ask for a refund. If they refuse ask to speak to the DM and complain to them. They are responsible for meeting a certain attach rate, but you are by no means obligated to purchase any accessories with the phone.

8. Jay724 macrumors member

I didn't even mind buying an accessory, because they had an Incipio case that I liked, but I didn't wanna spend $100 on Apple care.

9. rangrbob macrumors member

10. Jay724 macrumors member

Apparently you can't get a refund on Apple Care from what I heard.

11. rangrbob, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

rangrbob macrumors member

If you really want to go through the process. You could call and complain to corporate or DM then return the phone and repurchase w/o the AppleCare. I don't know what they would have to do with upgrade eligibility. At least in the future know they can't do that. If they advertise a price w/o requirements then they have to follow that ad. If they post those requirements on the advertisements (like a bundle) that is one thing, but if the sales tag says 199 then thats all you have to spend.

12. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

No it's not. What law did they break? Is it shady? Yeah. But it's not illegal. It's called capitalism. According to your logic Apple is also breaking the law(again, what law?) because they won't currently sell you an iPhone 5 without service.

13. Preed08 macrumors regular

Service is required to get the full use of the phone, accessories or apple care is not.

14. kalexn macrumors 6502

nice, maybe I should have gone there! Sprint does not budge on your upgrade date, mine is today(!!) and even though it was one week after the launch I would have to pay $50 to get the phone on launch day. I have not been able to find one in stock at 10pm, so I bought the $50 gift card to get one from the Sprint store, they have been coming in within one week so I don't think that is too bad. Cannot wait!

15. cynics macrumors G3

Its not illegal it's just crappy. You are asking them to break your contract to your benefit. They want you to buy things for the hassle. If you don't want to help them they aren't obligated to help you.

Now if you are due for a new phone and they are forcing you to buy addition stuff then that's a different story.

16. rangrbob macrumors member

To get the subsidized price service is specifically stated. Apple does not have to sell it at full price if they don't want to. It is different from listing a price and then at the check out only saying you can have that price if you purchase something else. It's called bait and switch.

----------

In his case I believe the change was in the same month. I know att will move your date to the beginning of the month you are eligible for upgrade. Verizon may have a similar policy. I don't know for sure.
    RadioShack can't break his contract for him. It won't work in their system. They can only sell it for the subsidized price if the carriers system allows it. If they do someone will be short at the end of the day.

17. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

What's the point? Next month you will be able to buy one without service. Apple is maximizing the amount of money they are making in early sales. Same thing Radio Shack is doing. Radio Shack is just being sleazy about it.

That's not bait and switch.

18. rangrbob macrumors member

I agree they are maximizing their profits but my argument was it is different than the illegal tactics that this radioshack is using. They are just refusing to sell at full price, for now.

It's no different than a hotel adding a "resort fee" to your bill when you check in at the desk after they advertise another price to get you in their hotel.
    In this case they are showing you one price on the shelf or print ad and then adding an "insurance fee" when you check out. If the requirement to purchase accessories or applecare was posted in the advertised price then they could require it at check out, but I don't believe they do. If you don't believe me call radio shack corporate and ask them for yourself they will tell you the same thing.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

You are quite the font of bad information. Applecare is fully refundable within 30 days and the refund is pro-rated after that time. As for Radio Shack having any requirement that you purchase anything else, they certainly asked me if I wanted to purchase a case or Applecare+ but when I declined they processed my purchase without any extras. They couldn't have been nicer.