Radio station playing out of Bose Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cramazing, Mar 10, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I recently purchased a set of Bose speakers from Best Buy, awesome sound quality and all.

But theres a problem, there seems to be some kind of radio station playing in the background when I plug it into the power outlet, wheather I'm using the speakers or not the radio station is still playing at the low volume.

I can hear it at night when everything is off and I'm trying to sleep, turning the speakers off helps but tis annoying to have to deal with this.

any solutions?

I dont have any other outlet to plug it to, Ive tried other speakers and they do the same thing.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's definitely interference and due to the wiring or ground in your place. You could try adding a power strip which cleans up such interference...:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/prom...00g-greenpower-8-outlet-powerboard-black.html

It's not cheap, and if you can live with it then fine, I have fairly modern wiring in my place, but the boards in the link will resolve your problem, although its going to cost.

3. helveta macrumors member

I've had this happen with a sub-woofer. The power cord was acting as an antenna. If these are powered speakers try coiling any slack in the power cord.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

5. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

The clamp-on device is good advice. These are ferrite split cores that reduce what is called common-mode currents on electronic interfaces. The Radio Shack devices may be adequate, but a general manufacturer of these devices that will offer a bigger spectrum of products is Fair-Rite Products - www.fair-rite.com. Look under ferrite EMI Suppression. They can be ordered from electronic distributors such as Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.

Don't know if the OP's speakers are wireless or not, but if they are not wireless a similar core should also be used on a coil of the audio input wires to the speaker as well.

There is a tendency to blame the interfering TV or radio station for this problem, but 99% of the time they are not at fault. The fault lies with the penny-pinching design of most all consumer electronics, including Bose products. Careful circuit design and addition of 50 cents worth of components would make these products completely immune to the types of RF fields they encounter in the real world. Instead, the manufacturers leave it up to their customers to fix the problem.