Radio Tuner App sucking battery life like nobody's buisness

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DanJ, Aug 11, 2008.

1. DanJ macrumors newbie

I recently got the Radio Tuner App which allows you to listen to online radio streams that you can listen to on your computer via itunes. It seems though, that this process uses a crazy amount of battery life on my phone at least. Today I started with a full battery, have listened to internet radio for 3-4 hours, and am already below 10% battery life. This has been primarily using wifi to access the internet, and with the phone display locked.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I also don't understand why this would use so much more than other similar streaming apps. Pandora radio is something else I have used alot, and does not suck up battery life like that.

2. ElBerserko macrumors member

It uses more battery because it is actually constantly streaming the audio. Pandora isn't a streaming app. It downloads the entire song at once and plays it back without needed to receive any more data. If you are on wifi, Pandora only needs like 20-30 seconds of data transfer to provide 4 minutes of music, where Tuner or any other live streaming application (like AOL Radio) needs to keep transferring data constantly to keep the stream going.

These are two completely different classes of applications. Doing what Pandora does is only possible with pre-recorded media. If you intend to listen to live broadcasts, the only way to do this is with a constant data transfer which will take up more battery power.