RadioShack preorder thread--hope for those who missed the Apple/AT&T/Best Buy boat

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLee17, Jun 18, 2010.

1. BLee17 macrumors member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know about another preorder option some of you might be aware of (but may not have jumped on the opportunity).

One of America's oldest, and most respected electronics retailers, Radio Shack, will also be carrying the phone.

I, like a lot of people (well maybe not around here anyway ;)) did not bother to frantically preorder/reserve an iPhone on June 15th thinking that this given the different purchasing options this time around, and the fact that the iPhone has been out for years now and not everyone would want to upgrade on launch date. As a result, I thought that surely one of the 5 stores would have the phone.

After the madness that was June 15th, this plan obviously went out the window. As the phone reservations/preorders screeched to a grinding hault, I had to think about where I could get my phone on launch day like everyone else.

I therefore called Best Buy today, and of course they're done with the preorders. However, Radio Shack was still taking reservations! The guy I talked to was super informative and said that although he doesn't know how many they will have, they placed my name on a LIST which they will use as a rough ORDER on who will get a phone. They will even CALL ME on June 22nd to let me know roughly how many phones they're expecting and whether I can expect to grab one! And remember this was the afternoon of 6/17!!!

I live in a medium-city of 2+million and there are 3 Best Buys, 4 Wal-Marts, 1 Apple store, and countless AT&Ts. If I am #21 on the list at Radio Shack, I am really hoping that I will get one that day.

Any one else with any Radio Shack info/similar stories?

2. dmx macrumors 6502a

I ordered from Apple, but if I hadn't, I'd much rather support a smaller, dedicated electronics chain such as RadioShack than walmart or Best buy.. (Not that any of them will have any trouble selling out anyways)

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

4. BLee17 thread starter macrumors member

Did you get any word on stock numbers? There are rumors on the net about 45 (30 32 GB, 15 16 GB) but nothing official. Did you get any info from the guys at your store?

5. cbruce76 macrumors member

So, I'm number 4 at the Radio Shack on Folsom Road here in Sacramento. I have no idea how many, if any at all, they will get in on the 24th.

I even took advantage of the trade in and I already traded in my old 3G. But because Radio Shack is an "unknown quantity" for Apple launches, I also secured a pre-order for home delivery from Apple later in the day on the 15th.

I know I'll get the one from Apple on the 24th. But when I placed my order at Radio Shack, I didn't realize how crazy this whole process was going to be. So, now I might end up with two.

6. BLee17 thread starter macrumors member

Can you trade in your 3G if you didn't buy it there? How much did you get? Hopefully #21 gets me the iPhone...

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

my local RS just flat out told me they are not participating in the launch. But would gladly order one for me after the 24th. i guess each RS is different. The manager was like, "we don't get involved in that silly stuff. we don't want a mob of angry people here..."

8. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

They'll only give you $100+ for it (they offered me $115 as a RS gift card). And idk how lucky you guys are, but my RadioShack filled their preorder amount at 8 (they opened at 7). I was planning to sell my 3G and cover a good chunk of the cost, but now that may not even be an option thru RS

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Most respected? I think that requires a qualifier. It's not a coincidence that their website's detailed history ends in the '80s and jumps to "21st Century" with boilderplate phrases like "RadioShack's legendary force of knowledgeable and helpful sales associates..." In a not-so-ironic twist I looked at two pages on their site and found a typo on each one.

Yes, it was respected in it's time, but time passed. However, I do like small neighboorhood stores.

"You have questions. We have blank stares."

10. Centient macrumors 6502

Too funny. "The Shack" has really changed over the years. Nowadays it's manned by kids who might otherwise be found working at Gamestop.

I remember when I was kid in the 80's and RS's were manned almost exclusively by old guys who were electronics/computer tinkerers who really knew their stuff and would gladly hand you a pack of batteries if you flashed them your card.

11. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I'll trust RadioShack over WorstBuy. That said, do we really "trust" any electronic store?

12. robd54 macrumors member

I went to BB after work on Monday and was told i was about 25 or so on the list for 2 16 GB's and that alot were 32 GB. I called Tuesday and they said for 16 GB, i was probably 13/14. Reading those reports about stock got me worried about getting it on day 1, so I just called my local radio shack and they only had 5 people on the list (me being 6/7 now). Guy was very honest in saying he had no idea how it was going to go as Apple already changed it on them once (with preorders). They're going to hold these for people on the list for 1 day, and if not picked up by Friday they'll be sold. Seems like a great backup to my BB one, and if i can to go RS at 7am and get them i'll do that anyway and use my BB gift cards for other purchases. Goodluck everyone!

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

But seriously, I agree. I'm going to show my age... It was nice to go in and get a replacement diode for a Heathkit because you dropped it in the shag carpet. I think the last time I went into "The Shed" with any expectations was to get a BNC antenna connector and splitter when installing a scanner in my truck. The electronic parts section had shrunk from a wall to one of those tall rotating three sided thingys surrounded by crappy home audio equipment.

14. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Gazelle.com will give you $115 for a perfect condition 3G. No trade in.

15. Centient macrumors 6502

:D

Heathkits! Wow you are old! ;) My older cousin used to let me mess around with his Heathkits when I'd visit on vacation (resist the temptation to splice here...:p)

16. 8mpg macrumors regular

The RS by me screwed up all of their preorders. They didnt get a single one because of their servers. They should get some...how many, they dont know. Then they said if it is not enough for the pre orders, they will do a free for all first come first serve. If they have enough for preorders, then they will get first dibs.

So dont hold your breath

17. robd54 macrumors member

Yeah, the guy I talked to said they weren't able to do real pre-orders, apple axed that last minute. They're doing the free list to hold whatever they recieve for people on the list first. Being #6/7, I would hope to think they would at least get 10....between this and my BB pre-order I'm hoping to get it on launch day.

18. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Radio Shack did reservations for launch day phones. They opened the system at 12 CST for all of the stores in the country. This caused a nightmare. Basically, how it worked -- Radio Shack was given an allotment. The stores then reserved phones out of that allotment on the corporate servers. At 14:30 CST, they stopped all reservations claiming that they ran out of their allotment.

If you didn't get a "PIN" during that 2.5 hours, I wouldn't anticipate getting phone.

Shoot, I got the first PIN at my store and I'm still not counting on getting one.

19. jbro1999 macrumors regular

I got a pin number at my RS. I was first and the only one to get one... No idea what that means though.. They couldn't guarantee anything

20. cbruce76 macrumors member

Yes, you can trade it there, even if you didn't buy it there. They only thing is you get the Shack gift card, so you'll have to spend the money there. I think the trade in prices have dropped significantly. On the 15th, the trade in price dropped from $170 to $136 (I only got $136), and it is now only $100.

21. robd54 macrumors member

I didn't get a PIN, but the guy said there were only five people on the list. Guess i'll just have to wait until next wednesday and check on both my BB and RS reservations. Hopefully one of the stores will get enough to guarantee me one. Otherwise I'll head to my local AT&T very early Tuesday morning!

22. 8mpg macrumors regular

I was 7 or so on the list but have followed up when others have not and the guys said he'd bump me to the top... take it for what its worth. Im not holding my breath either. If they get any, I may luck out.

I have 2 reservations at a Best Buy Mobile with 2 $50 gift cards. My sister reserved there as well. If RS calls me up saying I can pick them up there, I will just trade my $100 in gift cards with my sister for cash and to to RS where they were offering $20 in free store credit, then trade my blackberry.

Who knows...wont know anything from either BB or RS until the 23rd teh way it looks.