Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slojave

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
I wanted to know if anyone has had good/bad experiences using Radioshack's waiting list? I put myself on their waiting list yesterday but have never used them for getting any of my Iphones. I put myself on the waitlist for Iphone 5s (Space Gray, 32 gigs, ATT). Any info would be much appreciated!:)

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I was off-put by RadioShack after this stunt a few years back,

RadioShack said to require AppleCare, case purchases with iPad 2
http://bgr.com/2011/03/29/radioshack-said-to-require-applecare-case-purchases-with-ipad-2/

RadioShack salespeople at the New York City location he visited stated that the store was required to sell AppleCare and a case with each iPad 2 for today only. Despite a customer’s position in line, he or she was allegedly not permitted to purchase an iPad without the pricey add-ons.

slojave

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
I was off-put by RadioShack after this stunt a few years back,

RadioShack said to require AppleCare, case purchases with iPad 2
http://bgr.com/2011/03/29/radioshack-said-to-require-applecare-case-purchases-with-ipad-2/

Thanks for the info. The interesting thing is that they "required" me to buy a $50 radioshack gift card (which I have no issue as I can use very easily) and they did ask me if I was intending to buy AppleCare (which I do buy on all my Iphones) which really starts me to question their business practice. This was all to get on their "waiting" list.

I think I'm going to wake up on 9/20 at 2 AM Central and order my phone via Apple.com and not deal with this nonsense. Thank you!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I think Best Buy also makes you buy a gift card to be on the waiting list but that can be applied to the phone when you actually purchase it.

So its just a place holder, but I still don't understand Radio Shack making you purchase AppleCare if thats supposed to be an option and Apple gives you a year to decide (AppleCare+ does have to be purchased the day of, but not AppleCare).

rossihvac

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I did it last year and it was a waste of time and money, the never even got the phone in

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I work there you should have been told that ATT 5S iphones will not be available on launch day.

slojave

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
I ordered my phone via apple.com on 9/20 and should get it on Tuesday. So my issue about getting my phone is not an issue.

I wanted to let anyone know that my experience with Radioshack on this launch was not too good. I was supposedly 1st on their waiting list to get a 5s (Space Gray 32 gbs AT&T model). I have called twice but I haven't received a call back from Radioshack.

I'm not sure if this is how Radioshack handles these "waiting lists" but I wouldn't use them again. It might be that they were unable to get this phone due to supply issues but it does not excuse there lack of response to me. I thought I would share my experience with everyone.

t1m1t

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
I've had two past experiences with Radioshack and both were excellent. When I preordered my white 16gb 4s with BestBuy, they decided to tell me on launch day that my phone was not coming in for another month (after telling me to come pick up the phone at the store), even though I was the first person to preorder the phone at the store. My friend told me that Radioshack had some so I stopped over and walked in and out with a 16gb white 4s.

Fastforward to the 5s. I made a reservation for a space grey 16gb 5s with them and was told that they most likely wouldn't have any ATT phones on opening day, but if something were to change they would give me a call. The day before launch day I got a call from them saying my phone was ready for pickup for the 20th. I asked if it would be really be there, and the guy told me it was in front of him with a post-it with my name on it.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I had to do a gift card for wait-list at my local sprint store. Oddly enough, I only had to give my name and contact info to be on the list at RadioShack. Either way, I would hope one of the two comes in this week. I guess I could always put the sprint gift card towards my monthly bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.