Rahm Emanuel is now mayor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 23, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ugh- this is terrible, but this is the first time I have not voted in years. I simply hated all of the candidates. I hope that he makes good decisions and is not another Daley. Voter turnout all over the city was really low, as no one was thrilled with anyone. I just don't know what to think yet.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really didn't think it would happen. I'm with you on this one.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This has always been the problem here. I love this town. It is probably the best big city in the US- it's so beautiful and affordable. But the corruption here is just crazy. Every candidate was part of the machine in some way, so there was no real alternative. Even if there were, that person would never be able to get anything done here.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i did vote. mainly for the aldermanic race though than for mayor since i knew that the one candidate i liked wouldn't get close at all, but at least i was able to help Pawar become an alderman. i like his views and i think its especially telling that hes taking a voluntary pay cut off the bat, but i digress.

5. leekohler, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He's a hell of a lot better than what we had, that's for sure. Gene Schulter was an ass. My roommate and I were involved in a protest against that jerk. He wanted to use eminent domain to demolish legitimate businesses in the neighborhood to build a condo development. Anyone who lives in this neighborhood knows that there are way too many empty condo buildings. We and several hundred of our neighbors stormed his office one night after a neighborhood meeting. The jackass threatened to call the cops on us. We got right in his face and said, "Try it". He backed down and the development plans got shelved.

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Hmmm... I wonder why he'd want to call the cops at that point? Nice example of Chicago thuggery, Lee. Well done.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I like how you constantly see the people resisting brutish exertions of power as being thugs.

Unions represent members against corporate abuses of power, and they are thugs. People who live in a neighborhood resist a developer and aldermann who want to forcibly take their homes, and they are exercising Chicago thuggery. I'm sorry Fivepoint, but you have an incredibly skewed view of the world.

(This is coming from someone who witnessed firsthand union thuggery; I don't deny it can happen).

8. leekohler, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Did fivepoint really just say that? My god! So people in a neighborhood should not stand up to their elected officials when they try to forcefully take property from others? We were not violent and nothing in that office was touched. He threatened to have us arrested for entering a public office! That's insane!

I thought you were against government interfering in people's lives, fivepoint? You are unbelievable.

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It has nothing to do with WHO is in his office, getting in his face, and daring him to call the authorities... it's the ACT itself that's thuggery. It's the physical intimidation as he described it.

I doubt there's a bigger opponent of government seizure of private land in this entire forum than me... but would I go to my local authorities office with all of my pals, 'get in his face', tell him to 'try it' when he suggest he might call the authorities? No, that would be thuggery, and it's beneath me.

10. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Telling someone to "Try it" when they threaten to call the cops is not thuggery. It's responding to and accepting the challenge of a potential police presence.

Threatening to physically harm him if he calls the cops - that would be thuggery. Accepting the threat that the cops will be called and basically saying "Go for it." Not.thuggery.

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It's not like they were flexing their muscles with guns strapped to them like Tea Party thugs.

12. 184550 Guest

I agree, it's rather ironic. Do as I say, not as I do.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me? "Try it" meant try it and see if they'll actually arrest us. No one was threatened physically, you pulled that crap out of thin air. To my knowledge, there is no law against constituents confronting their elected officials. BTW, the police did show up- no one was arrested. You guys are amazing. You sit there and preach against things like eminent domain, yet when people actually band together and do something about it, you call it thuggery. Call it what you will, but it worked. We won, no one was threatened and there was no violence. The only thug present was the alderman.

14. 184550 Guest

If you say so.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Who was planning to forcibly take people's homes and businesses?

You guys talk out of both sides of your mouths. You'll sit here and defend the TEA Party when they show up to rallies with guns, but this, this is thuggery. Christ, it's like talking to a wall.

16. 184550 Guest

Who stormed into an office and intimidated the occupant?

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The people being victimized by the occupant. I'm sorry, but I refuse to sit by and watch this kind of crap happen to my neighbors. What would you do?

Nevermind- you'd probably be the developer.

18. 184550 Guest

Everything you did short of storming into someones office. In my experience I've found that who ever gets emotional about an first issue usually loses. (Yes, in this instance you are the shining exception.)

Look at the Tea Party for instance.

You have no idea how well you timed that quick edit. I selected 'Quote' and in the reply box the bolded portion appeared.

Very well timed, bravo.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This is local politics, not national. As a result of us marching to his office, more people joined the effort and a huge petition got signed by the vast majority of the neighborhood. People walking by asked what was going on. We told them and asked them to go inside and sign the petition- they did, enthusiastically. People tend to think they're helpless against politicians and corporations. When they see events like that, they realize they aren't. It made the news and people started e-mailing and calling his office. We accomplished the goal by attacking on all fronts. Politicians need to know you're serious. Just calling and e-mailing is not enough, especially in situations like this.

20. 184550 Guest

Maybe Illinois is an exception but in NC we've got retards trying to get in on all levels of government, Tea Party included.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sure. Sorry to hear.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Great, another shill for big business (especially financial institutions) in charge of one of America's most important cities.
    :rolleyes:

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Is Rahm Emanuel corrupt? Any investigations of him? Just curious what you think.

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no more or less corrupt than any politician here. he hasn't been terribly active in chicago politics since he was gone for awhile there. no one who was running for mayor was a 'good choice' there were just degrees of tolerance.

voter turnout didn't even hit 50%. it was quite sad.

i don't know how Rahm will turn out. but he wasn't my last choice at least. only time will tell.