Raid 1, Mirroring. Probably have a faulty disk here…

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cstromme, Apr 13, 2008.

1. cstromme macrumors regular

I have two WD MyBook 500G disks that I setup in raid 1 (mirroring) since I've had some problems with one of the disks earlier.

Suddenly the raid setup became incredibly slow here, to the point of not being able to read or write anything. And Disk Utility tells me that the setup is "Degraded".

I thought the point of raid 1 was that if one of the drives failed that it would still be usable, but that doesn't appear to happen now. And if I unplug one of the drives the entire thing goes away and I can't see either of the drives in Disk Utility.

So. What to do? HEEEELP!

2. tshoaf macrumors newbie

Mirroring Issue on RAID 1

Hello, I am here looking for a solution to my raid problem as well, but I think you are accurate in describing that you have a faulty disk. I assume you have attempted to remove each disk, one at a time? If not, you need to do this in this order:

1.) shut down

2.) remove faulty disk

3.) start up with one disk in

4.) check disk utility

5.) if one drive still shows up, you've found the right one, else repeat 1-4 with other drives

Should you attempt to pull out the good drive while the array is still mounted, Disk Utility will naturally see it as a disk failure... the strange thing about this is that if you shut down and plug back in, it will still see the drive as failed... and there is no obvious way around it... i have the feeling i will be modifying code very soon...

What you might do, upon locating the faulty drive, is to restart again, and reformat the drive and readd to the array, and then rebuild, else the drive really has failed and it wasn't software issues, in which case go ahead and replace the "inexpensive" drive...

...if only they really were.. "inexpensive"....

--cheers, Tim