RAID0 with a 250GB SSD and a 250GB partition of a 500GB SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dr.Gonzo, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Dr.Gonzo macrumors newbie

Hi guys, just wondering if the scenario in the title would work. I'm planning on upgrading my late 2012 iMac with 2 SSDs. I want to have one 250GB SSD and half of a 500GB SSD in RAID0, with the other half used for a windows partition for gaming. I know i could just use the 250GB drive for Windows and the other for OSX but i would really like the extra speed that RAID0 offers :D.

I'm just wondering, will RAIDing a whole drive and a partition of a drive work?
    Has anyone tried this before and had it working?

Thanks in advance.

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Ideally, two of the same drive is optimal. But your plan should work... faster than with regular HDs. Sharing part of a striped drive (remainder) may reduce the faster performance you are looking for.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, I have tried it in my Mac Pro tower and Mac Mini .... and it does work. Best if using similar SSDs for both drives. I have used installations with 256GB and 512GB SSDs using pairs of both Crucial M4 and Samsung 840 Pro SSDs and it worked great.

Gives a 256GB Windows drive and a 512GB RAID-0 OS X drive with 2 physical devices. :) :cool:

5. Dr.Gonzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help everyone!

Yeah, i've had concerns over how that may affect performance but i hope the effect will be negligible.

I've thought about it but really prefer having the speed of a RAID0 setup and then have separate external drives for storage and backups which is fine as it's a desktop pc. If i had a laptop, i would definitely go for a Fusion drive though.

Great to know it works! I plan on getting 2 Samsung 840 Evo SSDs so that should be fine.