Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Up here in the Northeast we have been getting rain since Friday and today will make 7 days of rain with more to come before it ends sometime Sunday. Looks like the drought is over. Its starting to get depressing up here since the sun hasn't shown in over a week now. So what are fellow Northeasters doing to keep from going nuts.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm jealous. I have some assignments to write and there's nothing better than having rain on a tin roof as I tap away on my Mac for hours on end.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
MacNut said:
... Its starting to get depressing up here since the sun hasn't shown in over a week now. So what are fellow Northeasters doing to keep from going nuts.

October tends to be a really nice month with abundant sunshine, but this October is an aberration. Once I get home from work, I watch shows I have taped and avoid looking out any windows.

It also helps a bit to think about the Yankees losing out in CA. The Emperor Steinbrenner must be doing a slow burn.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Yea it sucks. It's been cold and rainin', makes me just wanna stay in and do nuthin'.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
killuminati said:
In Vancouver it rains from September to April. You have it easy.
In the Northeast US (namely New England), it's gray and/or snowing from December to April, you get no sympathy :p

As for me, I like the rain, except when it's here for 8 days straight.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
vniow said:
I don't. My wipers suck.

Hahah! Touché. People drive like friggin idiots when it rains in SF and environs. It's like everyone reverts to student-driver-first-time-in-the-car mode, especially on the west end of the Bay Bridge and through the 680 mess in Oakland.

Having lived in Vancouver for 7 weeks now, today was time for the rain to start, it seems. I was miserably wet and cold all day! But after growing up in California, it's refreshing. I might not feel the same way by next year ;).

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Cold, wet, and nasty in New York City.

It was a pain in the ass getting out of bed and forcing myself to class this morning ;).

_Emerson

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mad jew said:
I'm jealous. I have some assignments to write and there's nothing better than having rain on a tin roof as I tap away on my Mac for hours on end.

Man, you really need to learn how type!
Typing is much faster then tapping, and would save you those hours :D :p ;)

image.php

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
scem0 said:
Cold, wet, and nasty in New York City.

It was a pain in the ass getting out of bed and forcing myself to class this morning ;).

_Emerson

You can stand outside in the cold and wet, that will wake you right up! Well it does for me in Minnesota :)

Driving with the sunroof open in January works wonders too :)

image.php

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Applespider said:
No! I'm coming to Bay Area in a couple of weeks and after the weather in London, I'd like some Indian Summer!

Fire your travel agent! November is when all that latent cold and fog and rain rolls in for the winter (more so than their matching summer counterparts). You learn to love it though, if you live there long enough. With any luck, it'll stay around 10-12 degrees C, or if you're really special, there will be a freakish warm snap and you might see 17 or 18 degrees!

Applespider

macrumors G4
matticus008 said:
Fire your travel agent! November is when all that latent cold and fog and rain rolls in for the winter (more so than their matching summer counterparts).

I've been luckier the years I've been in early November than the years I've gone in early October so I'll keep my fingers crossed and take my chances! ;) Even if it is 10-12 and foggy, it's still not going to be any worse than London will be then! And I have a week in Vegas too so it's only the first week in November that I really want it to hold off.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Yes another minging day in London again... there's something quite therapeutic about sitting by the window watching the rain though.

*dietcokevanilla feels all smug about the fact that she works from home*

^^but just to make you guys feel better - i did have to go into the office yesterday, feeling poorly, and got soaked on the way home... which has done wonders for my cold :rolleyes: :(

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I know!!!

Its been raining here for almost a week!

I surprised my basement hasn't started to flood.

Oh man, if this was a snow storm, we would have had like 5ft of snow.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I don't think we've seen the sun here for a week, either. That coupled with the later sunrise is making it harder and hard to crawl out of bed in the morning.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
matticus008 said:
It's like everyone reverts to student-driver-first-time-in-the-car mode

Absolutely, its the same here in Atlanta, where saturday (fortunately) has been the only day in the past 7-8 that it hasn't rained or drizzled constantly (which is just as bad). Last friday I commuted 5 hours (there and back) to work 7. :mad:

I heard a joke once, which I will share with you all.

Atlanta [or your city of choice] traffic is a lot like a flower. Just add water and watch it grow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.