Raised $134 for charity selling my second iPad 2 - Can you do better?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by datapolitical, Mar 25, 2011.

1. datapolitical macrumors member

datapolitical

So, after taxes, shipping, and PayPal fees, I was able to sell a 64 GB iPad 2 for $134 above market, all of which is going to DonorsChoose.org, to help teachers pay for school supplies.

I challenge anyone in here to do better. If you live in a state without sales taxes, that shouldn't be too hard.

2. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

If I was the teacher, I'd rather have the iPad 2 to help as an instructional material, but pat yourself on teh back :D

Do the teachers get all the money, or just the profit?

3. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

^Charity...what's that?

(just kidding, nicely done)

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Wow! Finally finding a post concerning the resale of an iPad 2 that was not related to scalping!:D

5. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Donations? Now isn't it funny how all you have to do is ask for money and people give it to you? Isn't it funny how only 40% of the money donated to Haiti has reach the country, and notice I said country and not the people of Haiti... Donations... One of the biggest, legal scams of this times... :eek:

Yes, I'm done now...

6. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Part of me thinks that coming here and bragging about your act of goodwill negates the value of the act itself. Maybe that's just me.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Did you sell just for the profit for charity or did you sell to recover your money and anything over then top went to charity? Either way, good work.

8. macsolo macrumors newbie

Well done Datapolitical :) I'm sure the charity appreciates your contribution.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Ha. Only part? You are correct and should not be so filled w/ self doubt about your theory. I'm sure OP is not the only person here who volunteers time and/or money, yet I don't see those people posting about it here for assurance they are good people and ego stroking.

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

"I do not give lectures or a little charity. When I give, I give myself." - W. Whitman

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Clever idea OP. Relatively easy money going to a good cause and the source of the money gets something in return. Everyone's happy: Same idea as girl scout cookies.

What if this catches on for the next iDevice launch. Will we see organized legions of red cross helpers, hordes of girl scouts and gangs of scalpers all jockeying in line?

My money's on the Girl Scouts: Professional campers.

13. datapolitical thread starter macrumors member

datapolitical

They've got all the necessary skills; they can build a tent, they know how to help others who wait in line, it's a perfect solution!

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Nope, not just you. The purest form of charity is anonymous. Anything else is tainted by ego.

15. string3599 macrumors newbie

If you claim the $134 as a tax deduction make sure to also report $134 of income.

16. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I agree. But we're all anonymous here.

Nobody knows who the OP is, and by sharing their idea, others might be inspired to help in the same way. There's nothing ignoble in that. Quite the reverse.

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

18. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Naw ...... I just claim my taxes as a charity deduction :rolleyes: ....