Raising a vegan baby: Parents say abuse cases give a bad rap

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Oct 21, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/...aby-parents-say-abuse-cases-give-bad-rap.html

Vegans & cross fitters are nuts, that out of the way kid looks "healthy" . seems some of the nutters do put kids at risk

2. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Definitely abuse. They should man up and eat meat.

3. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Seriously, breastfeed your child if you're going to do that!

Meat isn't refined enough. They should eat meat eaters. I recommend a left shin with a teriyaki glaze.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Poor babies must have been crying non stop.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

but that's from animals.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Lol, well okay yes technically it is.

But hey, the sperm that made that baby came from an animal too.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Like the negligence that lead to an infant's death?!!!!!

Asinine...

And, no, nobody needs to use links -- people can use a search engine and input the four simple words necessary to retrieve a plethora of results.

Besides, veganism is technically impossible - they say anything from an animal or its byproducts are off limits. Which is a shame that fertilizer comes from animals, the ultimate byproduct for creating tasty new vegetables unless they have their own gardens large enough to put food on their families for an entire year (hint: they don't even begin to nor could afford it). So they must be saying "Oh ****" by now... Ditto for petrochemical fertilizers since, oops, oil was said to be made from dinosaurs. There's a dump the size of King Kong as a result of their reading that, too.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Yeah but you don't eat --

:D Hehe .. if we have any vegans in the house -- do you spit or swallow ... :)

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

see vegans need to stop having babies and sex.

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Damn, I haven't had a steak in weeks and now I really want one.

To be fair though, the vegetarians and vegans I know mainly just don't want to contribute to animal death or suffering, which I think is noble. As a meat eater I have to accept the death part, but I sure don't like the suffering part. I try to buy meat from decent suppliers and avoid chicken from the South as much as possible.

When a state's response to farm animal cruelty being caught on tape is to make it illegal to tape farm animal cruelty, then I don't want to buy meat from that state any more. I don't want to support that practice with my money and I don't want to eat the product because I find the practice disgusting.

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

A baby's development is more important than their lifestyle choices and ideologies. On top of that, a child should be free to eat different foods. It's one thing to teach them to eat healthy and properly as all parents should do, it's another thing to force your ideas on them and prevent them from even trying other food in the first place. It's definitely abuse in every sense of the word.

Also, soy milk shouldn't even be an option for developing children if breast milk isn't an option. There's too many variables regarding phytoestrogens that could possibly have an adverse effect on their growth. Non-soy formula is a better option, although nothing will compare to breast milk.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 21, 2016 ---
    Same. No issues with meat, but I do care how the animals were treated before they were killed, which is why I get mostly everything from a local farmer.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Our neighbor went all in on the vegan/crossfit craze. She lost weight, toned up and got smoking hot. Then she got really sick and ended up in the hospital over a B12 deficiency. She still does her cross fit thing, but the vegan thing shredded her. Now she's also been diagnosed with Celiac disease. She's just a mess.

13. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Sounds like a thyroid/hormonal problem, which is usually the cause of B12 issues. She should permanently stay away from gluten with Celiac disease.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Ugh. I hate reading stuff about this. Like the parents would decide to treat meningitis with maple syrup and strawberries. In theory I suppose you could make a "vegan" diet work, but that requires adequate dietary education, especially considering children and adults have different dietary needs.

I've seen a number of malnourished vegan/vegetarians as a result of their unbalanced diet. It's not a good situation in adults and malnutrition in children can have a lifelong effects.

Ultimately a diet is a lifestyle choice. How one lives their life should be guided by the parents but ultimately determined by the child. Negative health consequences until then are the responsibility of the parent.

It is an interesting argument though. There are parents who feed their children candy and soda and fast food three times a day breeding obese diabetic unhealthy offspring. These of course are of course associated with negative health outcomes. I suppose it's better to overfeed than underfeed though.

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I have seen people ask if breast milk is vegan on a vegan youtube channel I am subscribed to.
    Not sure if they were trolls or idiots. Probably a mixture.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Life choices like that should be left to the child later on in life.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the child is healthy who cares. If not then that's an issue.

But it's also an issue if parents don't give their children a balanced diet.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Devils Advocate: If you feed your kid a smorgasbord if unhealthy food their entire childhood, especially if they are obese and develop health consequences, are the parents still responsible for not providing a balanced diet?

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I suppose people like this don't vaccinate their child either?

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah she's a mess. When they come over we have to be real careful on what we plan.

B12 is a known vegan problem. Gluten is a different matter. She got what she wanted, her high school figure back, but it was a hell of a price.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 22, 2016 ---
    Are you serious? Syrup and Strawberrys? Dear God.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 22, 2016 ---
    I'd imagine a large sum of them.

21. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I don't eat meat, but I don't care if other people do. I will say I have no love for insecure people on either spectrum, either the giant idiot "I LUV MAH MEAT" or the snarky pretentious vegan.

22. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yep ... animals are pretty much THE source for B12. Vegans either need to eat foods fortified with B12 or take supplements ... although fortified foods aren't particularly healthy. Vegans mean well, but they have a lot of obstacles to overcome to get the proper nourishment, which is why it's astronomically stupid to force a vegan diet on a developing child ... especially with how important B12 is in regards to DNA and the nervous system. Putting your child at risk because of a forced lifestyle choice is completely irresponsible. If a kid wants to choose that lifestyle when they get older, that's completely up to them, not the parent. It's okay to teach good eating habits, but there needs to be some responsibility and understanding when it comes to child development.

Yeah, that's frustrating.