Ralph Baer, 'Father Of Video Games,' Dies At 92

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Dec 8, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Everyone who has ever sat down in front of a video game console, whether it be Atari, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TRS-80, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, whatever... You all owe a toast to this guy.

I was fortunate enough to catch him on a tour of Video Games Live. Killer performance by that group, plus to see what would turn out to be the predecessor to Pong still working 54 years later was a treat.

Anyway, be sure to salute a toast to Baer on your next visit to Tapper's.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcon...lph-baer-the-father-of-video-games-dies-at-92

BL.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I owned an Odyssey game

I remember the plugin circuit cards and the plastic overlays that stuck to my tv screen using static electricity.

The cable from the bulky controllers to the console was about as thick as a garden hose, too.

I bought it from my cousin and then sold it a year later for $150, I believe. I wonder what it would be worth now.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

My dad won one Odyssey in 1973 at a Company Christmas party and my house became the collection of kids for at least 3 years. I still remember playing Pong and using the light gun for Duck Call, good times. :D

5. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Thank you Ralph, for bringing your ingenuity to life.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What a G. Hope he rests well. He deserves it.